title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

PX760A running externally--best way?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Signal78
    • Jun 2008

PX760A running externally--best way?

I have several Plextor 760A drives (IDE)--and want to keep their functionality (dbpoweramp, Plextools) when I move to a computer with no IDE ports (all SATA).
    I've seen some issues mentioned with internal drives mounted externally (usb).
    Is there a known method to ensure full dbpoweramp functionality (C2, etc) with this situation?

Are there PCI cards which can translate SATA to IDE so I can run it externally as though internal?
    Or....is there another better way?

Mark
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: PX760A running externally--best way?

I would try SATA >> IDE adaptor (plenty on Ebay), but you will need to power the drive, for that you can get (again ebay) a USB to (IDE 2.5", 3.5", SATA) adaptor and these have an external molex power supply.

(if you are not too bothered about c2, FUA then just the USB >> (IDE 2.5", 3.5", SATA) will work).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

The plextor enclosures have USB bridges that support C2 and FUA.

Comment

• pls1
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2008

This is my personal experience with Plextor 760 IDE drives and dbPoweramp (with C2 detection and Plextools):

Addonics SATA to IDE adapter card connected to motherboard SATA or to an ESTA PCI card and an external power supply. This is my preferred connection.

"Cool Drives" External IDE to USB 2 enclosure with built in ID to USB adapter--BUT must install plextools to get C2 detection. This even works for me over the Gefen USB 2 extenders.

Internal IDE PCI card to External IDE mounted drive

DID NOT WORK:
        I could not get C2 to work with any Plextor branded external enclosures USB or FireWire.

No firewire board and adapter combinations would work for me.
        Phil

Comment

• Signal78
          • Jun 2008

Thanks everyone for the replies.
          So it seems like I can keep using the 760 as an internal drive (with some certainly of full function) by using the Addonics IDE to SATA converter (#ADIDESA).
          Looks like an easy (and cheap) solution.

Also got some info on another option--if it is of any interest:
          Asked StarTech about one of their PCI IDE adaptor cards (PCISAT2IDE1)--they said that while it would provide an internal IDE connection it might not provide full functionality because it used SATA-to-IDE bridge software. He suggested another card (PCIIDE2)--because it provides full native IDE functionality. That distinction was not at all clear to me just reading the card info.
          Thanks again!

Mark

Comment

• pls1
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2008

yes, unfortunately making the Plextor 7xx work is a very hit and miss thing. even different SATA RAID MOBOs will make the Plextors not work with dbPoweramp.
            phil

Comment

Working...

]]>