title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Resampling MP3 library

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crimson
    • Jan 2008

Resampling MP3 library

I am considering this software for the simple task of batch resampling a large (300 gB) music library. The files are a variation of CBR and VBR (128-320)
    All files have very accurate ID3v2 tags including album art (100's of hours spent)
    My intension is to establish a second library with all files at 128 CBR for use on portable devices.

Will this software handle this task and retain all tag information including theembedded pictures (album art)

Thanks for all input!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Resampling MP3 library

Yes it can.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• crimson
      • Jan 2008

OK, I downloaded the trial software and converted one album in batch mode.
      8 out of nine tracks was converted successfully, all tags including album art made it fine through the process. One track however was trunkated and the file size ended up at about 700k while it shoud have been ~4M.
      This file plays well untill it prematurely ends.

Then I tried a larger batch resampling of ~1000 tracks. The computer crashed somewhere in the job, and I had to power toggle the PC.

Next I disconnected the PC from the LAN, stopped all virus and spyware programs and started a smaller batch resampling of 10 albums or so.
      When I came back to the PC after some 20 minutes the PC had rebooted somewhere during the conversion process. Some files up to 10 had been successfully converted before the PC auto rebooted.

How "big" can a batch job be?
      Any explanation for the crashing of the PC?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Your PC crashing sounds like an overheating problem, in all honesty. Open up the case and put your hand on the CPU heatsink. If it is too hot to touch, your system is overheating.

Comment

• crimson
          • Jan 2008

You were right, Sir !
          Removal of PC side panels and external fan made the resampling batch a breeze.

Salut!

Comment

• heinz57g
            • Jan 2008

tried to do the same thing crimson did, but am also not getting anywhere: it works fine if i enter some 50-60 files at a time, but if i do more (200+, for sure always) it just lets the entire prog vanish.

happens immdtly, so it can have nothing to do with heat.

computer does not crash, and the prog can be started immdtly thereafter, same result.

is there a max file limit it can handle?

greetings - heinz -

PS: XPhome fully updated

Comment

• crimson
              • Jan 2008

I don't have problems now.
              Started a 8500 file batch before the weekend. Still in process with ~600 more files to go, should complete tonight. I'll report back the results tomorrow.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

No maximum file problems.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• heinz57g
                  • Jan 2008

understood, but pls, so what cld it be? just tried again, and whosh,
                  the prog is gone - not frozen or stopped, just gone as if turned off.

what cld i be doing wrong, pls?

greetings - heinz -

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Where are the files located, heinz: a local drive, network drive, external drive? Where are you converting to?

Comment

• heinz57g
                      • Jan 2008

standard main C: drive, in a folder called 'MP3tobeconverted', into another folder
                      on D: drive called 'MP3converted'.

as it works easily with say 60-80 files, those locations should have little to do with
                      it, no? all of them have plenty of space left, too.

greetings, a fairly baffled - heinz -

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Version of dMC and Windows?
                        Format converting to and from?

Comment

• heinz57g
                          • Jan 2008

sorry i though all this was clear from the previous mssgs, but here once more: MP3 with
                          a higher (160-320) and some with VBR bitrate into MP3-128s, all with lame 3.97.

WIN XP home latest updates, virus free system as almost isolated from the WWW.

version of dMC i cannot tell offhand, as there is no info or help button to tell (or i cant find
                          it), but was downloaded/installed from their homepage about 2 weeks ago, so must be
                          fairly recent.

greetings - heinz -

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

See "Need to find your version?" in my signature to get your version number.

If you click the "List/Rename" button in the conversion before you start the conversion, dot the files show up properly there or no?

Also, if you convert all of your files to "Test Conversion", does dMC still crash?

Comment

• heinz57g
                              • Jan 2008

sorry, a more detailed answer in 45 minutes, i am on the wrong computer right now (incl wrong city).

>> See "Need to find your version?" in my signature to get your version number

understood, will do. is it a stupid question, why so difficult? why not an info and/or help button somewhere
                              in the prog? is there a specific reason?

>> If you click the "List/Rename" button in the conversion before you start the conversion, dot the files
                              show up properly there or no?

not sure i understand you right. when i start the prog, it starts with the file selection box, all files are
                              there, can be selected, and only on the next step everything vanishes (if large nbr of files selected).
                              i get nowhere near the actual dMC prog window.

>> if you convert all of your files to "Test Conversion", does dMC still crash?

will try, but how to get there if the prog screen does not even show up?

crash: once more, it is not a crash as i know it from other progs, like somehing freezings, stopping to
                              respond, behaving strangely - nothing like that: it just vanishes.

greetings - heinz -

PS: before i forget this, THANKS to all of you for having so much patience with me.
                              Last edited by heinz57g; 01-21-2008, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>