title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Metadata options? MP3 encoding with 'reference'?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Metadata options? MP3 encoding with 'reference'?

3 months from purchase.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• turnstyle
      • Dec 2007

3 months from purchase to activate AMG, and then one year from purchase that AMG will work, yes?

If that's right, one more (my apologies, as I thought that was the last)...

I'll be ripping to FLAC, and just discovered this FAQ:
      dBpoweramp maps these tag names: Track to TRACKNUMBER disc to DISCNUMBER label to Organization Year to Date Comment to Description Conductor to Performer ----- If your program does not read those tags and correctly map back to a good value, then ask the developer why (example Description should become comment

You mention a new version of the codecs, will I get those automatically when I download "Reference Codec Pack Release 2"?

Does that mean the FLAC ripper uses the Vorbis style tag names when ripping to FLAC, or the MP3 style tag names?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

FLAC can use Vorbis comments or ID3v2. Change the option in dBpoweramp Configuration on the "Codecs" tab under the "Advanced Options" buton.

Comment

• turnstyle
          • Dec 2007

FLAC can use Vorbis comments or ID3v2
          Is one type "more compatible" than the other? For example, will player apps look for both kinds of tags for FLAC files?

Likewise, if I want to later transcode the FLACs to MP3s, will that work with both tag types?

(now that I'm about to rip everything, I want to make sure to have the right settings from the start)

Thanks for all your answers!

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

It depends on the software/hardware you will use to play your FLAC files? I believe some hardware players want ID3v2, but it depends. Regarding transcoding, as long as dMC can read the FLAC tags, which it can if it makes it obviously, then it will encode to the tagging standards you set for mp3.

Comment

• turnstyle
              • Dec 2007

Thanks -- I mostly expect to play FLACs via player apps (most likely VLC, with Foobar2000 coming in second) -- do you happen to know which tags those apps prefer with FLAC?

When you say that some hardware players prefer ID3v2, do you happen to know of any hardware/software that prefers the Vorbis tags? (If not, then it seems best to just use ID3, no?)

-s

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Vorbis comments would be preferable for software players, I believe.

As for players, again, I have no experience with this, so I can't answer either way. Additionally, if you put your comments in one type and you get a player that wants the other, you can just transcode your FLAC files to the other tag type. While this does involve some effort, it does mean that if you choose wrong, you won't have to re-rip.

Comment

Working...

]]>