title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

BAND tag vs. ALBUM ARTIST in CD Ripper

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedukeofprunes
    • Nov 2007

BAND tag vs. ALBUM ARTIST in CD Ripper

Hello,

I am ripping all of my CDs to LAME V0 MP3s. In the CD Ripper, there is a field labeled 'Album Artist'. When you add a value to the field, it ends up in the 'BAND' tag instead of the 'ALBUM ARTIST' tag. Is there any way to correct this? Adding a mapping to the ID Tag DSP doesn't work properly. As far as I can tell, this is a misuse of the BAND tag, which should be reserved for band info, such as ARTIST: Neil Young, BAND: Crazy Horse (as opposed to The Stray Gators). Album Artist should be used as in the following example: ALBUM ARTIST: Duane Allman ALBUM: An Anthology ARTIST: [varies by track, e.g. Allman Brothers, Wilson Pickett, Derek & The Dominoes, etc.]. Can someone help clarify or present a way to have the ALBUM ARTIST tag filled when ripping/compressing? Right now, I have to use another step after ripping to fill. I would prefer the BAND tag is not filled at all, unless I specify a value to fill it with.

Thanks in advance,

The Duke

PS: Sorry for the repost; I can't seem to delete my original thread.
  • jtbse
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2006

Re: BAND tag vs. ALBUM ARTIST in CD Ripper

I've noticed this as well, but I'm not so sure it's a bug or misuse of the tag??

It seems to depend on the format and type of tags involved. I've noticed that both dBPoweramp and Winamp put "Album Artist" data in the BAND field for ID3 tags (at least according to MP3Tag).

But my FLACs with Vorbis comments end up with the data in the ALBUM ARTIST field.

But dBPoweramp always reports it as Album Artist either way, as does Winamp. So I'm thinking there's just some "standards confusion" or ambiguity here?

Comment

• thedukeofprunes
      • Nov 2007

Yeah, I figure the same. I have read about the ambiguity in other forums, but I figure there must be a way to get around it in dBPA. If not, I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way...

Anyone have any tips?

I just figured there should be some consistency from file type to file type.

The Duke

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

also iTunes and Windows Media Player do the same.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• thedukeofprunes
          • Nov 2007

Thanks for the followup Spoon. I am certainly not faulting dB, but I was hoping there was an in-process way of mapping these fields to the "proper" (or different!) locations.

Anyways, is my logic correct?

Thanks,

The Duke

Comment

Working...

]]>