title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

AMG back to 30 day trial after reinstallation

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iangrant
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2007

AMG back to 30 day trial after reinstallation

I've got a new computer, and I've just installed my dbPowerAmp Reference, dut AMG shows as 30 days remaining. I bought it back in February, I think, so there should be more.
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: AMG back to 30 day trial after reinstallation

Originally posted by iangrant
    I've got a new computer, and I've just installed my dbPowerAmp Reference, dut AMG shows as 30 days remaining. I bought it back in February, I think, so there should be more.
    The AMG license came in a separate installer from the reference installer. See if you can track down that file and install it.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

The only way to reactivate AMG (after uninstalling or moving to a new PC) is to buy the $5 access for one year, your February install would not activate now.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Kurt_S
        • Nov 2007

What small print was this mentioned in? I reinstalled because the software was not "seeing" my drive.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Not small print, under the link you installed from it says:

All Media Guide 365 Day License Installation:

<link>

(must be installed within 3 months of todays date), this link is only given out once, so please save it.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Bill41
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kurt_S
            What small print was this mentioned in? I reinstalled because the software was not "seeing" my drive.
            I've never heard so many people whine about $5 per year, which comes to
            1.3 cents per day, 9.6 cents per month, & 41 cents a month.It costs Spoon more than that just to answer your frivolous posts.
            End of rant. :D

Comment

• Teknojnky
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2006

There has to be a better way to do this.

Losing up to ~9 months of an amg license because someone bought a new computer or upgraded/re-installed there existing one and can't re-install the amg license after 3 months is just plain silly.

BTW, this also affected me when I went to windows xp x64, my amg no longer works, not that I really care since I use musicbrainz anyway, it is still stupid that I paid for something and then can longer use it even though I still have time left on what I paid for.

Comment

• Teknojnky
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Bill41
                It costs Spoon more than that just to answer your frivolous posts.
                If that is true, then he should either a) make it so that people don't lose out on there existing time period when moving/re-installing the app, or b) charge more and deal with even more frivolous posts.

Comment

• bhoar
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Teknojnky
                  There has to be a better way to do this.

Losing up to ~9 months of an amg license because someone bought a new computer or upgraded/re-installed there existing one and can't re-install the amg license after 3 months is just plain silly.

BTW, this also affected me when I went to windows xp x64, my amg no longer works, not that I really care since I use musicbrainz anyway, it is still stupid that I paid for something and then can longer use it even though I still have time left on what I paid for.
                  Everyone should note that the AMG license terms are only partially controlled by spoon - I suspect the 3 month limitation was AMG's idea. How many other CD rippers in this price range* even make AMG available?

Lastly, and I will probably annoy spoon or amg by this suggestion, but: have you tried setting your clock back before re-installing? Only temporarily, of course.

-brendan

* well, with the exception of rippers that are being licensed by large corporations that can either leverage their size in AMG licensing or hide the license costs in the cost of doing business (e.g. to support their music store).

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

We could put a ton of validation code in there, every week your computer would have to phone home to dbpoweramp.com for validation, the price of the license would have to up to $10 (extra programming / server costs). I suspect that would be less popular than the system in place now.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Teknojnky
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2006

Shrug, or you could make a amglic.bin or whatever file(s) (or be able to download a regenerated one from the registration download pages) that can still be re-installed any point in time up to the expiration date, with the applicable time remaining of course.

Ideally it should be as simple for you as it would be for your customers, while offering the control you desire and flexibility that your customers desire.

Comment

• bhoar
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Teknojnky
                        Shrug, or you could make a amglic.bin or whatever file(s) (or be able to download a regenerated one from the registration download pages) that can still be re-installed any point in time up to the expiration date, with the applicable time remaining of course.

Ideally it should be as simple for you as it would be for your customers, while offering the control you desire and flexibility that your customers desire.
                        Again, I believe that the inclusion of AMG support *required* Spoon to enforce their licensing model (no enforcement = no contract = no AMG). It's pretty clear that Spoon's licensing model for the software and services that he controls (dbpoweramp & accuraterip) is substantially less strict than AMG's licensing requirements.

In addition if you examine AMG use in other software you will see that AMG's license and pricing requirements are substantially more restrictive with other software. The problem does not lie with spoon: he's done his best to bridge the gap from AMG's per-disc lookup charge to the expectations of customers of consumer-level ripping software.

If you don't use AMG, you don't have this problem. AMG wants to be paid for their work, but were willing to cut the average consumer some slack with a cheap (by their standards) $5/year license with some anti-piracy controls that are annoying for those of us who have to reinstall from time to time. But consider the alternative: you don't really want to know what AMG normally charges per disc, even in bulk.

-brendan

Comment

• Teknojnky
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2006

Frankly, if someone buys a license to use a service for 1 year, they should be able to install whatever software required to access said service, and make use of such service, up until the year is up.

Whether or not its Spoon's decision to limit installation to only the first 3 months, or AMG, is immaterial. It is still not very customer friendly.

If I buy a car, take it home, and not drive it for 4 months, my 1 year 10,000 mile warrenty still is effective as long as the 1 year or 10,000 mile limit has not expired.

If I move cities, (assume this a nationwide warrenty) then I also expect the warrenty to be honored and usable at my new location (also assuming there is an applicable dealer/warrenty provider there).

In any case, I am simply providing customer feedback, along with the other posters, Spoon can choose to do something with it, or do nothing with it.

Comment

• Kurt_S
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Bill41
                            I've never heard so many people whine about $5 per year, which comes to
                            1.3 cents per day, 9.6 cents per month, & 41 cents a month.It costs Spoon more than that just to answer your frivolous posts.
                            I agree actually and I apologize. I was having a bad day and now I realized I probably burned up a cap in my Plextor 712a ripping constantly for a couple of days. Registering as reference just coincided with it going out. OS does not always recognize it as well. Again I apologize to Spoon.

Comment

• Kurt_S
                              • Nov 2007

Okay that said if anyone wants to point me to a link to the "real" Plextor technology drives I would appreciate it. Money almost no object because I want to have the best and least hassle rips to play on my two Transporters streaming from a ReadyNas+ populated with 2TB.

I am now looking at the Plextor 240A mentioned by Spoon. Thank you for the recommendation.

Comment

Working...

]]>