title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Strange thing with VBR encoding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trooper
    • Dec 2002

Strange thing with VBR encoding

Hello there,

A strange thing. I am trying MP3 VBR encoding with PowerAmp Converter. In the "advanced compression" menu of Power Plug, I have set "Very High Quality" in the drop menu, the "Quality" slider all the way to the right, "VBR encoding", minimum BR to 192, maximum BR to 320.

However, when I look at the properties of the MP3 files generated, the BR which is published is often much lower than 192 (goes between 120 and 300).

How is that?

Second related question: if I want excellent quality, are my choices OK, or do I lose a lot versus the quality you get with a constant bit rate of 320? The files are indeed smaller on average, but the Rip time is multiplied by about 3.

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

It is because Very high quality is a preset, it must set the minimum bitrate its self like many of the presets do.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• trooper
      • Dec 2002

I see ! is there a guide of the presets?

'Cause it would intersting to see the differences between "very high quality", "Studio", Hi-Fi"...
      Currently recording in "VHQ", but would love to get more on the quality side if it is worth it!
      E.

Comment

Working...

]]>