title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping to NAS drive

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coltrane
    • Oct 2007

Ripping to NAS drive

I wish to rip to my networked NAS drive (Buffalo LinkSation Live) to provide the music for my Sonus system but find it takes 4/5 times as long as ripping to an internal drive.

Is this normal or can I adjust any settings to impove the ripping speed?

I am ripping to FLAC.
  • jtbse
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2006

Re: Ripping to NAS drive

It's probably the write speed to the NAS. I keep my library on a NAS also (usb drives attached to an unslung NSLU), but Windows access via Samba is quite slow.

So I always rip to a locally attached drive first (almost always need to fix tags anyway) and then just copy to the NAS.

You may be able to "tune" the NAS via some network tweaks, but I wouldn't know how to tell you to do that.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

It is the ID Tagging at the end, local files are cached, where as network files are not, we might create a local caching utility codec which keeps the file local until the end.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• coltrane
        • Oct 2007

Thank you for your response Spoon.

I would naturally support the creation a local caching utility codec as you indicate might be possible.

I believe their is a trend towards storing music liabraries on NAS drives; are there others out there who would be interested in this development?

Comment

• jtbse
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jan 2006

Well, I would definitely be interested in such a feature!

Spoon....I had no idea you had ever even looked into or considered it! Your technical and audio prowess never ceases to amaze me! :smile2:

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
            It is the ID Tagging at the end, local files are cached, where as network files are not, we might create a local caching utility codec which keeps the file local until the end.
            That's a very good idea, spoon.

In addition, if we're talking CIFS/SMB/Samba, some file servers allow the network clients to cache files, some do not. This has to do with whether the file server supports a feature called oplocks, and supports it well.

If you're having performance problems with applications that read and write files multiple times (this can be ascertained using the winternals/sysinternals filemon application), making sure oplocks is enabled can help tremendously.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Try:

The purpose of Encode Local is to encode files locally (normally to the computers temporary folder), before sending the file to its final location (which could be a network shared folder, such as on a NAS). Why do this? for certain audio formats, such as Ogg vorbis, or FLAC, ID Tags are contained at the beginning of the file,
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• reelmccoy
                • Jul 2007

Sweet! This could be pretty darn useful. I've used this for a rip or to and so far:

1) The multi-proc/core functionality seems to have disappeared but then I don't have up to 4 sessions (quad core system) trying to hit the same NAS share at the same time.
                2) The feature to copy the album art as folder.jpg isn't working.

I should probably be using the released version of 12.3 rather than the alpha of 13 though.

Thanks for putting this together!

Comment

• coltrane
                  • Oct 2007

Terrific response Spoon, both in speed and facility!! :smile2:

Rather than taking 4/5 times longer to rip to my NAS drive, using your Encode Local codec only takes 10% longer than ripping to an internal drive- a fantastic improvement. (only tested 1 cd so far)

Album art has beem lost though - using version 12.3 and ripping to flac.

Comment

• reelmccoy
                    • Jul 2007

FWIW, I'm using the V13 alpha and the album art does get embedded in the FLAC file. Just not copied as folder.jpg.

Other things I noticed was that there's no warning when ripping the same CD (somehow I've managed to buy 2 of the same CDs far too often).

Even with the differences in functionality, it's hard to go back to writing directly to the NAS box. It was worse when I had three systems, all dual core or more ripping CDs directly to the same main NAS share.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Please post feedback to the local encoder to the thread with the utility codec, so it is a little easier for Spoon to see how it behaves.

Comment

Working...

]]>