title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ID3 tag shell problem in explorer and also no icon for "convert to"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayDO_TEx
    • Dec 2002

ID3 tag shell problem in explorer and also no icon for "convert to"

:confused: The "Convert to" item IS currently available in the right-click but no icon to the left of it and no menu item to "Edit tag" directly from the right-click nor the "Properties" page...
    I previously HAD the "Convert to" icon AND the ID3 tag property pages in the right-click menu of explorer but the option to enable "Explorer ID tag property pages" in dMC configuration has disapperaed mysteriously!!! (It's grayed) Note that I HAVE got a registered PowerPack of release 1 and I HAVE restarted the Windows after installing the registered PowerPack - then I upgraded it with the UNregistered PowerPack release 3 and restarted windows AGAIN but NO use at all.
    I have got Windows XP - so i HAVEN't got any "System update" options :-(
    Also note that I've tried installing and uninstalling many different versions of dMC and its components and sometimes even two different versions at the same time into different folders. THEN there were TWO "Convert to" items in the right-click - one of them WITH the icon and the other WITHOUT the icon to the left of them. But I DON'T think that's the cause of the problem. Anyway - I've currently installed the "dMC-r9" alone with the registered and upgraded PowerPack - but the same problem STILL exists...
    There is a file called "dMCShell.dll" which contols the shell of the Explorer and previously - if I removed it, the shell enhancements disappeared but now the file is like UNUSABLE in some reason - the "Convert to" item WIHOUT the icon is still there and nothing changes if the file "dMCShell.dll" has been removed - even after restarting again...
    If the problem DOES exist because i've tried to install many different versions at the same time even though the C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP folder was empty and there was no option to remove the program from the "Add or Remove Programs" in control panel could you please HELP ME!!! And please help me also if THAT is NOT the problem, anyway!!! :confused:
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Something sounds very wrong with your Windows - the greying out of the Option for tag window in Properties only happens in Windows 95,98 or ME. You have Windows XP, but it is reporting to my program that it is Windows 95/98/ME...

Personally I would reinstall XP, the bit about the icon missing in right click - that only happens on an early version of Windows 95.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RayDO_TEx
      • Dec 2002

still confused...

still :confused: anyway - i'm tellin' ya - the "Edit tag" option in the right-click menu should still be available - even if PowerPack trial period expired - THEN it tells you to "install PowerPack to enable ID3 tag editing". But the config. of dMC tells me that it's registered and there is still no icon to the left of the "Convert to" item in the right-click menu - looks like the Explorer shell of some previous version of dMC that i whenever have installed or what... :confused:

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Try deleting the folder C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP

then reboot and install the latest again.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RayDO_TEx
          • Dec 2002

Problem fixed!!!

:supersmil Dear good Spoon!!! :supersmil You have just given me a great idea about reporting a different version of Windows to dMC!
          :supersmil You know once I had a problem that when running dMC config. or finishing converting there appeared an error that "MusicConverter.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are very sorry for the inconvenience..." or something like that. I know that then it usually helps to change the "compatibility mode" in the properties. So I tried the compability mode of "MusicConverter.exe" for all the different Windowses but the problem still existed. So I un- and reinstalled the dMC program and everything was working again but the compatibility mode for win95 was still switched on! So in win95 you can't have these ID3 tag property pages. Now thanks to you, Spoon, I came up with simply switching off the compatibility mode for win95 and IT'S WORKING AGAIN!!! Thank Ya SO very much for giving me an idea to completely fix da problem!!!!! :smile2:! ! :smile:! :supersmil! :D! !
          Last edited by RayDO_TEx; 12-22-2002, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Ah compatibility mode, I have a game - Commandoes beyond the call of duty - now this game can run in Windows XP (people have said run it in Win 95 and copy the registry entries accross), it is just that it complains about not running in NT and quits, unfortunately compatibility mode for that one, it is still able to detect XP :(
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RayDO_TEx
              • Dec 2002

talking about compatibility mode...

I think there might be a bug in dMC...:headbang: When i change the advanced options for encoding with lame (i'm using the latest 3.93.1 - maybe the bug is in LAME!) and start converting - the dMC usually crashes! (...has encountered a problem and needs to close...) when i start encoding again WITHOUT changing the advanced options (the options are now the ones I last have selected before crashing) - it'll always work...
              So I tried Compatibility mode again and when for win nt (sp5) it crashes more rarely but still sometimes... :headbang:
              Last edited by RayDO_TEx; 12-22-2002, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

What about using the 3.92 Lame?
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>