title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

freedb ..?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Koa
    • Dec 2002

freedb ..?

I've been through most of the threads concerning this problem, and haven't found a solution.
    With no firewall running, I've changed servers several times, nothing works. This is how it acted after install, then the next day it started connecting, now it refuses to connect again. Spoon has stated in several threads, that if the servers pop up in Options, it's working............so why ain't it working?
    ........ this is very frustrating... :headbang:
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

If it connected one day, then not the next I would say it is something not to do with dMC, try running this:

Start >> run

cmd.exe (or command.exe if not 2000/nt/xp)

ping freedb.freedb.org
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Koa
      • Dec 2002

The ping worked fine.
      I uninstalled all the Illustrate software, and spent about 4 hours cleaning up the registry, rebooted and reinstalled the CD Writer and Power Pack software...................... still can't get through to freedb.
      ..................... any suggestions? :confused:

Comment

• Koa
        • Dec 2002

oh yeah... you may need to know what OS I'm running.......

WinXP sp1

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Check you do not have a firewall running, such as the one that is built in Windows XP.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Koa
            • Dec 2002

As I've already stated NO firewalls running when I try to connect to freedb. If I did have a firewall blocking access, how would I change servers?
            (btw....... about 1 out 3 times after I have unsuccessfully connected, I go to Options to change servers, and the program stops responding.)
            WhopSee has no trouble connecting to freedb.
            I would really like to purchase this software, but until this problem is resolved, I can't see spending the money. This is not a minor issue to me. This is a very important feature.
            I'm not trying to be belligerent about this, but it seems you have little help to offer people with this problem.
            Do you have any suggestions other than Firewalls, or saying it can't be your programs fault? And since I have to wait until the next day for a reply, could you make more than one suggestion at a time.
            Please, I'm really not trying to be jerk, I just want this to work as it should.
            :headbang:

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

I don't know what to suggest except to install the offline freedb database. Sorry.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Koa
                • Dec 2002

Actually I'm way ahead of you on that one............... Ever download a 150 meg file with a 26.4 connection? :(
                I should have it all by tomorrow hopefully, but there has to be a reason for this. It's obvious from the threads, that it's a fairly common problem................ oh well, back to the download...

Comment

• Koa
                  • Dec 2002

Well, I hate it, but I guess I have to continue my search for a music convertor............. downloading the database was a tremendous waste of time.
                  In case anyone is thinking of doing the same, be aware.............The 150 meg .tar.bz2 file contained yet another compressed file 1.12 gigs. :shocked:
                  I am truly bummed, I really liked this software, but being unable to connect to freedb, makes it next to useless for me. I would have to enter all the info manually, and I have too many CD's I wish to convert.
                  I'm sorry you don't wish to pursue the cause of this problem Spoon, but it has to be program related, otherwise I couldn't connect to freedb using other programs.

So long, and thanx for the fish! :(

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

hi Koa, sorry to hear it's not working for you. i don't think it's a case of Spoon not trying to figure it out, but rather Spoon is stumped on what the cause is for yours not working.

and i really don't know if it's not working for others.

Comment

• Unregistered

I'm having the same problem.

No firewall, using winXP. ADSL connection though a router. Two other computers connected and ripping no problem (winME).

Explorer works fine.

Comment

• Unregistered

Update on my last message.

Rebooting solved my problem..

Comment

Working...

]]>