title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Gapless ripping/playback - FLAC and Ipod?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Empgamer
    • Aug 2007

Gapless ripping/playback - FLAC and Ipod?

Just a couple of things I need to clarify so I waste as little time as possible on ripping my daughter's dance CDs.

For ripping I use dBpowerAMP Reference (brilliant tool). For playback on PC I use Media Monkey (until we get some Sonos kit). For MP3 devices we use Ipod Nano's.

Now, I have ripped most of our normal CDs thus far to FLAC. When ripping dance CDs (gapless play) are there any settings I need to do in DBPA to get gapless rip/playback in FLAC? I ask because I ripped one box set she has yesterday and when Media Monkey played back there are audible pauses of milliseconds between the tracks. Now that may be a Media Monkey setting that needs checking but I need to ensure I'm not missing anything at the rip stage.

Now, for phase two. Converting normal (non gapless) albums for Ipod use. I am using dBpowerAMP Converter to convert 95% of our CDs either to M4A (AAC) or MP3 Lame for import to iTunes/Ipod. Have done a mix of each so far, can't decide which to stick with. Lame is perhaps more flexible but as we only use Ipods it seems a moot point. Any thoughts?

Big question is for the dance CDs. I understand that while Ipods/iTunes support gapless play they will only support in their native codecs (either ALAC or AAC that iTunes has ripped/converted). This makes my general conversion routine redundant for gapless CDs it seems. I've read some other threads about ripping to ALAC and then getting iTunes to convert but I'm wondering if this is a very long winded way of doing it and whether we wouldn't be better just using iTunes to rip those CDs straight to AAC using 256 VBR in the first place? One thread does seem to suggest though that if I convert the CDs using MP3 Lame, Ipod/iTunes will recognise the gapless? If so, FLAC to MP3 Lame across the board seems to be the best strategy.

Any help much appreciated.

On a totally unrelated point. As and when updated codecs come out can/will Reference be directed to upload the new versions (believe new FLAC has come out).
    Last edited by Empgamer; 09-25-2007, 08:26 AM.
  • anleva
    • Jul 2007

Re: Gapless ripping/playback - FLAC and Ipod?

Originally posted by Empgamer
    One thread does seem to suggest though that if I convert the CDs using MP3 Lame, Ipod/iTunes will recognise the gapless? If so, FLAC to MP3 Lame across the board seems to be the best strategy.

Any help much appreciated.
    I started out ripping to FLAC and then converting to AAC using dBpoweramp but there were issues with gapless play on the iPod with the AAC files. So I changed my strategy and now go FLAC to MP3 and have found the iPods play the MP3 files gaplessly without issue. So that has worked well for me.

Comment

Working...

]]>