title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

bitrate problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

bitrate problem

First let me say that I love this program. The sound quality in my mp3s are excellent. However...
    When I go into "dMC Audio CD Input" and convert a CD to mp3s, sometimes they show up in certain programs with misreported bitrates and won't play. I save all of them as 128K, but some will show up as 64K, 192K, or 320K. But, in windows when I click on an mp3, it still shows up in the left pane as having been encoded at 128K.

Anyone else ever run into this problem?

Also, is it better to record at 48000Hz or 44100Hz? Whats the difference?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Use 44.1KHz as that is what your CD is.

You must be recording VBR mp3s, or using ID3v2 tags, Windows is very poor at determining bitrates or lengths of VBR mp3s/ID3v2 tagged mp3s.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Thank you very much. The ID3v2 tags were the problem. I wasn't using the VBR from the beginning - I used constant. KaZaA Lite didn't like to read those files and wouldn't play them if the bitrates were reported other than what I encoded at (128K). Real Player, on the other hand, played them just fine and showed them as being 128K. This was baffling to me. So, after your suggestion, I found the setting that lets me change the tag types and selected "Both ID3v1 & ID3v2", converted the cd again with the new settings to mp3, and deleted the old files. Viola! KaZaA no longer misreported the bitrates and played them just fine.

Thanks!

P.S.
      I just can't get over how well these mp3s sound (even at 128K). Again, I love this program.

Comment

Working...

]]>