title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

"Machine Exception Check" BSOD when re-ripping frames

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HuskyDawg
    • Mar 2007

"Machine Exception Check" BSOD when re-ripping frames

This has been getting a little annoying...

History:
    I have noticed overall erratic results when ripping the last track on many CDs'... The generated CRC for the last track RARELY matches the CRC in the AccurateRip database. If it goes into UltraSecure mode, and successfully generates three sequential identical CRC's, it marks it as secure despite the discrepancy between the value from the AccurateRip database. I find hard to believe that I would have so many CD's with different (enough) last tracks to generate a different CRC. From my understanding if the last track had a sector which was unreadable due to contamination/scratches, it is unlikely that the same data would be read three times in a row. I have observed at least one time before, when I rip the last track before any other tracks, it will sometimes rip without a hitch, the generated CRC matched the one in AccurateRip first time, while if I rip the entire CD from start to finish the last track usually doesn't generate the proper CRC.

I have seen this occur from version 12.0 through 12.2.

The main problem I'm trying to get to the bottom of is, why, when UltraSecure mode is initiated, and it fails to generate three sequential identical CRC's, it starts re-ripping the questionable frames, and some time into the re-ripping process, my computer locks up and I get a BSOD!! I have seen this several minutes into a track with many frames being re-ripped (~14K) and seconds into a re-rip with not so many frames (~600)-- oh also when the bad frames were being re-ripped on the track with 600 bad frames, after I got the BSOD and I restarted, I ripped that track first and it worked fine, no hitches...

I have a Samsung SH-S183L SATA optical drive, I will test using a IDE optical drive through a USB connection just to see if I keep getting the same problem, however I don't see why communicating with an optical drive could lock up the computer... I don't recall getting this problem before when I was using an IDE drive... Does anyone suppose this has something to with the SATA interface? I'll look for new drivers for my motherboard chipset. I just updated to the newest firmware for my ODD.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!!!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: "Machine Exception Check" BSOD when re-ripping frames

If the last track does not match, then apparently your track is not reading into the lead-out of the CD and therefore you are getting marked inaccurate.

In Options near the bottom in the CD ROM section, what is your Communication setting on?

Comment

• HuskyDawg
      • Mar 2007

Unfortunately that does not look like it is the problem as I just checked the settings and the checkbox for "Read into Lead-in or Lead-out" was already marked.

My communication setting is configured for "SCSI pass Through (SPT)"

Thank you for the quick response!!

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

I've read that some earlier integrated SATA chipsets had buggy sata firmware and/or drivers. So, making sure the bios and or Sata controller firmware is up to date as well, as the chipset drivers for windows, would be a good first move.

-brendan

Comment

• HuskyDawg
          • Mar 2007

This kind of came as a surprise to me, as I just found out that despite the fact I have not updated any drivers/BIOS in months, everything is up to date (with the exception of a Beta BIOS from 2006-- NAAH)... I think support has been discontinued for my mainboard (Asus A8N-SLI-Premium) It's a socket 939 board which I guess is now old technology being replaced with socket AM2... Oh well, seems to be the way of the computer nowadays... So it looks like the drivers I got now are the best I'm going to get, and they are maybe a year old or so... Sounds recent enough though? I wonder... I suppose I could look into building up a new rig, it's been a while hehe.

Thanks!

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Try setting Communication to "Windows Internal". Also, just because the box is checked does not mean your CD drive is doing it. If you uncheck the box, does the CRC for the last track change?

Also, read this to see if this is the cause: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4619

Comment

• HuskyDawg
              • Mar 2007

I recorded the checksum/CRC before checking the box, after unchecking it, and after I re-checked it. The checksum before I modified the box was the same as after I modified the box, the only different checksum I got was after I un-checked the box. So it would appear the option is working.

I would prefer not to use windows pass through, as that sacrifices valuable features of this program which initially convinced me to purchase it. In your honest opinion, do you feel the integrity of the audio is at risk with this odd problem I'm having? If it is able to read the same thing three times in a row... I'm not hearing any digitized garbage at the beginning or end of the tracks this is happening to, and I find it a little hard to imagine that the ODD I'm using is reading the track and inserting garbage data consistently three times in a row. Software writing is NOT my forte' by any means, and I don't know the hierarchy of translations which are going on through the levels of software, so I could easily be wrong...

PIO mode is my modern-day enemy... I have had many problems in the past because of a drive that Windows configured to communicate in PIO mode instead of DMA, that took me a while to figure out the first time...

I do not use IDE in my system, all HDD's are connected through SATA2 interfaces, two of the HDD's are RAID'ed in RAID 0 mode (mirror) with the onboard RAID controller, and the OS HDD is running off of a SATA2 drive. The ODD is connected to a SATA2 controller in SATA1 mode.

THX!!

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Realistically no cd ripping program should be able to BSOD a computer, not matter what it tries to send down the scsi. The BSOD problem has to be fixed before you can trouble shoot anything else. Trying an usb connected drive is a good idea.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>