title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Replay Gain questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trtlrock
    • Jul 2007

Replay Gain questions

Hi. Yes -- another in a string of newbie questions...I do promise it'll be over soon, though.

I'm fairly confused about RG...

1) If I intend to use it, should I be adding the RG as a DSP when ripping the CD in dMC? This is added as metadata and in no way changes the music itself correct?

2) I would like to incorporate both Replay Gain & Album Gain; do I do that by simply ticking off both boxes in the RG DSP settings?

3) Does the RG/AG info work in FLAC (I think yes), WAV (I don't know), ALAC (no?), and AAC (no?). In ALAC or AAC (for an iPod), is there any way to incorporate iPod-compatible RG as metadata & still do the ripping in dMC?

4) Lastly (I think), I'm very confused as to how to activate/implement the RG info upon playback. For instance, would this be automatic in my Squeezebox? How about my Sonos? How about WMP reading from my NAS?

Sorry for this onslaught of questions. I actually did spend hours searching & googling this stuff, but I'm afraid all it did was help me to formulate the questions :o
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Replay Gain questions

1) Correct, it is meta-data and does not alter the data when you use the ReplayGain DSP or utility codec.
    However, if you use the "Volume Normalize" DSP effect and choose "ReplayGain" you will alter the music.
    2) I believe ticking both boxes will give you TrackGain and Album Gain
    3) I'm not sure what formats do and do not support ReplayGain, someone else will have to respond to this. But regarding the iPod question, the iPod will just ignore the meta-data and play the song as normal.
    4) You need a supporting player that will read the ReplayGain meta-data and alter the data on the fly. I don't believe WMP supports RG but I am unsure about your Sonos or Squeezebox. You would have to ask the manufacturer of those units.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Wav no, aac no. Itunes has its own soundcheck.

Very few players, and even fewer hardware players support replaygian. Instead for these you should use the replaygain in the volume normalize dsp, that applies RG to the audio, the end results are the same.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jtbse
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
        you should use the replaygain in the volume normalize dsp, that applies RG to the audio, the end results are the same.
        Spoon...I find this a very interesting statement!

Are you saying that the volume normalize DSP uses the same gain/attenuation algorithm (based on rms AFAIK??) that ReplayGain uses?

I always assumed the volume normalize was just doing peak normalization?? No??

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

There are 4 different types in volume normalize.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jtbse
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2006

Oh my gosh! I didn't realize how much functionality you had put into the normalize DSP :blush:

I just hadn't looked at using it lately...finding more reasons everyday why DMC has no peer!!! :smile2:

Comment

• mcompton69
              • Feb 2007

Where can we find an explanation of the different methods in the Volume Normalize DSP?

i.e whats the different between Peak to Peak and ReplayGain?
              Last edited by mcompton69; 07-20-2007, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

ReplayGain is an RMS average normalize, peak is just the highest value. THe help file for dsp effects should say something about it.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Mousky
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by jtbse
                  Spoon...I find this a very interesting statement!

Are you saying that the volume normalize DSP uses the same gain/attenuation algorithm (based on rms AFAIK??) that ReplayGain uses?

I always assumed the volume normalize was just doing peak normalization?? No??
                  Keep in mind that the volume normalize DSP physically alters the volume of the audio track.

The ReplayGain DSP only calculates the numbers and adds them as metadata - the volume of the track is not altered.

Comment

• altoyes
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                    ReplayGain is an RMS average normalize, peak is just the highest value. THe help file for dsp effects should say something about it.
                    hi spoon
                    i have been looking for a help/quide/instructions for dbpowerAMP DSP effects file, for a few hours - cant find anything either in http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dbpoweramp-dsp.htm

could you direct me to a quide?

i need to know what is the best DSP effect if any for my player here

btw, for your interest - wimpy recommend these dbpowerAMP settings and they work perfectly for me ... wimpy recommendations

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Start >> Programs >> dBpoweramp Music Converter >> Help

(it should be in there)
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>