title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Noob dbPowerAMP Questions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • broodwich
    • Feb 2007

Noob dbPowerAMP Questions?

When I test my Optical drives in dbPowerAMP it reports that none of them report C2 errors. When I look at the drives specs in the Nero Info Tool it says that all the drives I have support C2. I tested the C2 function in dbPowerAmp with two different scratched CDs on each drive and it said that no C2 errors were reported. Were my CDs not scratched enough? Why is there conflicting information from the two programs?

Here are the drives that I have...

Lacie CDBP-161040A, Liton LTR-52327S, Liton DVDRW SOHW-1633S.

Do I need C2 pointers in order to insure secure rips in dbPowerAmp?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Noob dbPowerAMP Questions?

The secure CD ripper can work without C2, but it is better with C2. See here for how the secure CD ripper works: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm.

Also, I remember something similar being reported by another user, but forget what the response from Spoon was.

Comment

• broodwich
      • Feb 2007

Thanks for the link. I have read that a couple times today and I still don't think I understand everything that's talked about on that page. If my drives are not able to report C2 errors but the tracks I rip still show Accurate does that mean they are accurate or because the drive can't report C2 does that mean errors could have slipped through?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

With no C2, there are always 2 passes after which a cross-check is done against AccurateRip to determine if elements in each of the pass were correct. Ultra passes are useful in detecting errors when C2 error pointers are not supported, the Matshita drive especially needed the extra passes to detect errors (sometimes detecting new errors 6 passes in).
        It looks like to me that no C2 can let errors through. However, if you set the Ultra Secure passes high enough (say 10), it shoudl catch most of the errors.

Also, another important thing to look at is the AR result. If it says secure but AR says its wrong, then its probably wrong. Of course, this doesn't apply if the AR results all say wrong and the CD is in good condition, because then your CD is apparently a different pressing then the one in the database.

Comment

• broodwich
          • Feb 2007

Okay, I found an old bad CD-R backup and tried that disc for the C2 testing and it came up right away and said that C2 errors were reported. This CD-R is not scratched it's just really old and burned on some pretty poor gold CD-R from years ago. EAC spent about 2 hours ripping one track on this disc when I used it to test with some time ago.

So does this mean the other discs I tested just were not scratched enough?

Edit: I tested this CD-R in my other Liton drive and it took a little longer to report but it also said that C2 errors were reported. I didn't test the Lacie drive but I don't want to use that drive anyway. I was only using it because it was the fastest drive when I was using EAC.
          Last edited by broodwich; 02-18-2007, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Yes, apparently it means your discs were not scratched enough.

Comment

• broodwich
              • Feb 2007

So now I just need to figure out what settings I want to use for LAME. :confused:

Comment

• broodwich
                • Feb 2007

Next Question:

So if I rip a CD and dpPowerAMP reports that the rip was Accurate with a number of over say (3) then my rip is good right? I don't need to worry about how good my drive is at reporting C2 Errors correct?

If for example dbPowerAMP reports a confidence number of say (25) that's a guarantee that the rip was accurate, correct?

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Yes, any number over about 3 means the rip is accurate.

Comment

• broodwich
                    • Feb 2007

What about when it just reports secure?

Comment

• Teknojnky
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by broodwich
                      What about when it just reports secure?
                      When it reports 'secure' with or without the "I", it means that the disc is not in the accuraterip database and that it ripped accurately but there is nothing to compare it to other rips.

If your really paranoid, you can make sure that CRC colum is visible (right click on the column headers) then re-rip again and if all crc match then it should be as accurate as its gonna get.

Comment

• broodwich
                        • Feb 2007

Great info. Thanks Teknojnky. It looks like dbPowerAMP is going to become my new ripper of choice. I found one CD so far that it had trouble ripping. It reported it as Insecure on both of the first two tracks and spent about 15 minutes doing that. I just stopped it and I figure I will deal with that CD later. I can either try something different in db or I can revert to EAC for that disc.

When the CDs are found in AccurateRip they sure do rip much faster than in EAC. I tested one disc that had some scratches in it and EAC took 14 minutes to rip the entire disc. db took about 3 minutes 45 seconds. That's a HUGE improvement! Considering I have about 600 discs I want to rip this will be great speed improvement for me.

Comment

Working...

]]>