title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

30.5Khz instead of 96KHz

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slipknot83!
    • Feb 2007

30.5Khz instead of 96KHz

I have several flac24 files that I recorded at 96kHz. dBpowerAMP MC shows these file as 30.5 kHz. When I down convert to 16 bit 44.1kHz wav, the songs run at less than 1/3 speed. These files are not corrupted, I can burn them and playback in my DVD-a player just fine. What is wrong?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: 30.5Khz instead of 96KHz

Are you using dMC r12? If not, you might want to try updating to r12.

Comment

• Ron F.
      • Jan 2007

I have the same problem. I have V12 Reference.

I downloaded some 96KHz 24 bit Flac files from Linn records. dBpowerAMP shows them as 30.5 KHz. If I try to convert them to say, 48 KHz Wave, they come out at least three times too large. dBpowerAMP indeed thinks that they are 30.5 KHz files, or something other than 96 KHz.

The files open correctly in other applications.

Example: my test file is Thomas Tallis, "Te lucis ante terminum."
      See http://www.linnrecords.com/recording...lium-sacd.aspx

In the Tag&Rename application I get the following information:
      Duration: 02:43
      Bitrate: 2636 kbps
      Channels: stereo
      Samplerate: 96000
      Encoder: reference libFLAC 1.1.2 20050205

DBpowerAMP returns:
      Size: 51.24 MB
      Original size: 89.81 MB (57% of original, 1.7 to 1 compression)
      Length: 8 minutes 35 seconds
      Sample Rate: 30.5 KHz
      Sample Size: 24 bit
      Bit Rate: 1462
      Encoder: FLAC reference libFLAC 1.1.2 20050205

-Ron

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

I have 4 ideas that might help, if you have not already tried them:

1. I believe the FLAC codec was recently updated. Have you tried downloading the current version and trying again?

2. Have you tried using the Bit Depth DSP (the DSPs are currently available through the Beta section of this forum)? This is helpful when you are converting to a different bit setting.

3. Go to your dMC Configuration and check to see whether you have Professional Frequency Conversion activated. Does this make a difference?

4. Have you tried Converting from FLAC, 24 bit, 96 kHz to Wav, 24 bit, 96 kHz and then converting the Wave to a different frequency and bitrate?

Please let us know if you have tried these and if they made any difference.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• Ron F.
          • Jan 2007

Dear Xoas,

You have given me some good things to try... I will report back.

Thank you,
          Ron

Comment

• Ron F.
            • Jan 2007

I am running the latest version of FLAC, with R12. I have the Professional Frequency Conversion option activated.

I cannot convert a 96kHz-24bit FLAC to 96kHz-24bit Wave. Attempting that results in the following error:

Error converting to Wave, 'C:\Music\Thomas Tallis\Spem in alium (Magnificat) 96kHz-24bit FLAC Master\01 - Te lucis ante terminum.flac' to 'C:\Music\Thomas Tallis\Spem in alium (Magnificat) 96kHz-24bit FLAC Master\01 - Te lucis ante terminum.wav'
            Wave Encoder: Error Converting from 'Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 24 Samples Per Second: 30464 Bytes Per Second: 182784 Block Align: 6 CB Size: 0' to 'Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 24 Samples Per Second: 96000 Bytes Per Second: 576000 Block Align: 6 CB Size: 0'

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

It looks like dMC is having trouble decoding your FLAC file, from the error message you posted. If you move your file closer to the root directory temporary (i.e. to just C:\Music), does it convert then?

Have you tried r12.1? Use the Registered Link Retrieval to get a new registered installer for Reference.

Comment

• Ron F.
                • Jan 2007

I upgraded to R12.1 using the Registered Link Retrieval. The problem persists unfortunately.

I moved the test file closer to the root directory, but that certainly had no effect. I tried several other 96kHz-24bit Flac files as well - from different sources. They all have this problem.

Is this something that might have been fixed in R12.2 Beta?

-Ron

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

It seems the problem is related to the FLAC codec, not dMC itself.

Just to make totally sure: you are running the r7 version of the dMC FLAC codec, from here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-flac.htm correct?

Also, have you tried the main FLAC front-end on your files? http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

Comment

• Ron F.
                    • Jan 2007

The conversion worked perfectly with the Flac Front-end downloaded from flac.sourceforge.net.

I then went back and tried dMC again, but this time I remembered I had been selecting the output sample rate as 96 kHz, rather than [as source]. The input sample rate is 96 kHz - so I wa not trying to change it. I continued to get the same error message as before, until I changed the output sample rate to [as source]. Once I had done that then the conversion from flac (96kHz-24 bit) to wave (96kHz-24bit) took place.

I then compared the two wave files, and they were identical except for a few bytes at the start, and at the end. That is good!

However, when I view the properties of these two files, they show different sample rates. The file generated by the sourceforge front-end shows the correct sample rate of 96kHz. The file generated by dMC shows a sample rate of 30.5 kHz.

I therefore suspect the problem is with dMC, and it is those few binary bytes I see different that is representing the incorrect sample rate?

-Ron

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Will take a look ASAP.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Ron F.
                        • Jan 2007