title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Audible AA Conversion

Audible AA Conversion

The primary reason that I downloaded dbPower is to convert Audible.com (.aa) files to WMA for use on my Toshiba Gigabeat. However, I can not get it to work. The following error appears:

The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Documents and Settings\bsohn\My Documents\Audible\WallStreetJournalWeekendJournal1 2-22-2006_acelp16_brucesohn.aa' could not be opened.
    DirectShow filter for '.aa' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt.

I downloaded Audio Manager today (for the first time on this computer). I have DirectX9 installed. I downloaded the codec (DirectShow) from Codec Central and have installed it (although I do notice that it is not listed in DMC Configuration). I have added the ".aa" extension to the DSExt.txt file. I have Windows Media Player 11 on my system. I have never listened to the file that I'm trying to convert.

Thanks for any assistance.
    -bs

Re: Audible AA Conversion

See here for tips: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...newpost&t=8981

If you didn't see the DirectShow Decoder in dMC Configuration, it was not installed properly. Did you install it to the same folder as dMC was installed to?

Also, did you install version 4 of AudibleManager?

Thanks. I rebooted and then reloaded the Codec and that seems to have done the trick. I'm up and running. Nice to have access to these files. :smile2:

A follow-up question:
    When I'm doing the conversion, a window pops up that is Titled "Section Navigation" and says Audible.Com in it. It has a skip forward and a skip backward button in it. Pressing forward does not seem to do anything. Pressing back apparently aborts the process.
    What is the purpose of this window?

Thanks again,
    -bs

Might be related to something involved in dMC using the Audible Manager and the Audible WMP plugin to decode the song, I don't know. How long does the window stay up? Does it show anything?

The window displays the entire time the conversion is occurring...and closes immediately thereafter. It doesn't show any further information.
    -bs

Exclamation Re: Audible AA Conversion

A bit more on Audible Manager.
    • Version 4 is no longer supported by Audible.com. If you want a copy of this program, you may wish to consider downloading and saving it locally.

• Version 4 will attempt to update itself to Version 5. This process needs to be halted (although it may make it impossible to download player configuration files).

• It appears that Version 5 encodes additional copy protection that prevents the DirectShow converter from working.

• I believe it is reasonably likely that Audible.com will probably alter its service to render Version 4 unuseable. They claim that they no longer support versions prior to Windows XP. I don't know who to contact about updating the DirectShow converter but it would be nice if somebody could evaluate an upgrade to utilize Version 5 files

An alternate, albeit far slower but supported method for converting files, is to use Audible Manager to burn CDs and then rip those CDs back to files compatible with the mp3 player (I use WMA format). One nice advantage to this method is that Audible Manager breaks the file into smaller "chapters" although they aren't really aligned to real chapters in the book.

Happy holiday season,
    -bs

I can't find the version 4 of Audible manager (or any earlier versions, really). Could somebody send it to me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
    Ev.

Help can no longer be provided with the conversion of Audible files.

Last edited by LtData; 03-20-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Administrator

Thread Unlocked, whilst no-one from dbpoweramp can give specific instructions on how to convert audible files that does not stop generic answers such as where audible manager v4 can be downloaded.

As always google can help:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ger+4&gs_rfai=

If Audible want to sue us for telling people where they can find their own programs, as dirty harry once said...make my day.

The quicker audible wakes up, follows the music industry's lead and removes DRM from their proprietary locked audio book format, the better the world will be...lets hope that google get into this business, they would wipe the floor with audible if they offered drm free audio books.
    Last edited by Spoon; 03-20-2010 at 12:26 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

if only thy would spoon, but audible are also dealing with publishers of the books they are turning into audio books, most of them are VERY worried about making sure their stuff is locked down nice and tight(look at ebooks....) no drm is unbreakable tho, the sooner the world figuares this out, the better.

my advice, check out services like emusic where non of the files have drm(audio books included)