title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Yet another request for AAC bitrate advice

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JulianL
    • Nov 2007

Yet another request for AAC bitrate advice

I searched and founds lots of similar requests but nothing that addressed exactly what I'm looking for so please accept my apologies if I missed something in my search.

I currently have most of my music collection ripped to 128kbs CBR MP3 on an old iPod that I haven't updated for ages. I have my newer music on a Windows Mobile smart phone in 64kbs AAC-HE format which to me sounds as good as my 128kbs MP3 stuff (the AAC-HE claims really do seem to be true).

I plan to consolidate everything to an iPhone (assuming that the rumours of Apple being about to announce a 32GB version are true) and want to take the opportunity to re-rip everything. Since it will be an iPhone, and AAC is highly regarded in any event, it seems to make sense to go the AAC route but I don't want to go AAC-HE because (a) the iPhone doesn't really support it, and (b) HE is more CPU-intensive to decode so it hurts battery life vs AAC-LC. I'll have more space on my new iPhone so this time I don't want to make the file size vs battery life trade-off that I made on my Windows Mobile smartphone.

So, what is the most battery-friendly (least CPU-intensive) variant of AAC-LC to go for (VBR, ABR or CBR and at which bit rate setting) to get me equivalent or slightly better quality and file sizes vs. my existing 128kbs MP3 CBR and 64kbs AAC-HE rips?

I will doing all the encoding starting from lossless FLAC copies of my CD collection which already exist on my NAS device.

- Julian
Working...

]]>