title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting from Flac to MP3—Best MP3 Tag Type

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randym
    • Jan 2007

Converting from Flac to MP3—Best MP3 Tag Type

I am ripping my CDs to Flac for play on my home stereo (slimserver) and I do not currently have a portable MP3 player. But I do anticipate letting others sample my music and maybe one day owning a portable player. So I have been converting my Flac files to MP3 as part of my ripping/tagging work flow.

I have been mindlessly using the music converter with its default settings, and I recently became aware that this means my MP3 tags are in APE-2 format. My brief internet search suggests that ID3V2 tags are more widely supported. Both formats preserve all my custom flac tags.

Would using ID3V2 tags make my MP3 music more widely accessible? Is there a good reason that APE-2 is the default?

Thanks,
    Randy
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Converting from Flac to MP3—Best MP3 Tag Type

Using ID3v2&ID3v1 would be your best bet for compatability for portable players. I think APE2 was the default because it was the first tag format to support Unicode. The reason might also be mentioned in the dMC help files.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Re: Converting from Flac to MP3—Best MP3 Tag Type

If it is the first time you have ever used dbpoweramp then id3v2 should be default.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>