title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using "Volume Quieten" DSP to control Gain Staging problems (overloads) in iPod EQ

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbritton
    • Dec 2006

Using "Volume Quieten" DSP to control Gain Staging problems (overloads) in iPod EQ

There has been an interesting discussion going on over at head-fi.com

regarding one user's experience with his iPod giving overloaded/distorted sound whenever he used his EQ. He used the Audacity program to lower the dB by -2 dB and it overcame the problems caused by the iPod's EQ over-loading the input stages or down-stream stages in the amplifier circuitry.

I have just made a massive addition to the thread mentioned above regarding my discovery that dbPowerAMP will do this on-the-fly for people automatically during conversions using the Volume Quieten DSP.

It occured to me that this gain-staging fix might be a good thing to include in the help files as a further use for the Volume Quieten DSP! That used in conjunction with the EQ (or a pre-cut slider built into a future version of the EQ?) solves both this problem and the lack of custom EQ in the iPod lines beautifully.

Just a thought! Check the thread mentioned to see what discussion progresses from what seed we've planted concerning this.

Terry
Working...

]]>