title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Naming/paths/Comps/Folders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oggy
    replied
    Re: Naming/paths/Comps/Folders

Linn and Naim are some if the most reliable electronics in the industry. I've got friends who own either Linn or Naim streamers and know dealers who sell them and don't have issues. Linn equipment comes with a five year warranty, and once installed tend to be very non problematical. Their s/w is very mature and stable. Can't always say the same with other streamers on the market.

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied

Originally posted by daleyb
    my workflow is simply Rip cd>check via mp3tag> check again in foobar.> back up on HD....so In "theory" every things Fine. There will come a time When everythings Ripped (Still a long way off) and the plunge will be taken. At the present A cyrus stream XA is on the cards. (Would Like a Naim or Linn..But a Tad bit out of My price range)..Like you say Some of "High-End" are not that user friendly. Not after a multi Room set up. Just to Integrate in my current HIFI SYSTEM. It would be nice to rip and see result/s though.

Iam doing my Homework Due to price. Iam going for A qnap NAS. but still unsure if to go for a Fanless one.I heard these slow up.Someone else informed this was untrue.....
    Then it sounds like you'll be fine. Just keep ripping! p.s. I read more problems with network streamers related to Linn and Naim than almost anything. So be happy that they are out of your price range.

Leave a comment:

• daleyb
    replied

my workflow is simply Rip cd>check via mp3tag> check again in foobar.> back up on HD....so In "theory" every things Fine. There will come a time When everythings Ripped (Still a long way off) and the plunge will be taken. At the present A cyrus stream XA is on the cards. (Would Like a Naim or Linn..But a Tad bit out of My price range)..Like you say Some of "High-End" are not that user friendly. Not after a multi Room set up. Just to Integrate in my current HIFI SYSTEM. It would be nice to rip and see result/s though.

Iam doing my Homework Due to price. Iam going for A qnap NAS. but still unsure if to go for a Fanless one.I heard these slow up.Someone else informed this was untrue.....

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied

Originally posted by Dat Ei
    I don't get the problem? Invest as much time as possible into the metadata of your ripped data. You can change the naming of your files to whatever you want as long as long as you have the necessary metadata within the files.

Dat Ei
    agree. complete/correct metadata is the key. (and my "testing" with actual use comments are more related to seeing how it uses metadata. Does it need AlbumArtist? Does he want artistsort or not? does he want year/data?, etc.)
    Last edited by garym; 03-17-2016, 01:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dat Ei
    replied

I don't get the problem? Invest as much time as possible into the metadata of your ripped data. You can change the naming of your files to whatever you want afterwards as long as you have the necessary metadata within the files.

Dat Ei
    Last edited by Dat Ei; 03-17-2016, 01:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied

Good point Gary..I think Iam shooting in the dark.Not being able to *see* what iam doing as I go.To be Honest Ive ripped a lot of Cds Now...So it may be worth Taking the plunge now for a Streamer.My Idea was to rip all CDS to HD first then get a streamer....I know some folk Choose to do this way...but seems risky and like you say you create a work flow.
    you don't need to spend any money to test with a streamer. Do you use windows? If so, just install foobar2000 as a server/player on your computer. What sort of network streaming system are you planning on using? Lots of choices, some easy to use some very clunky (and it turns out that some of the most clunky are those related to traditional high-end audio components). I use LMS and Squeezeboxes. Some around here use SONOS. Others use illustrate's ASSET UPNP and some DNLA compatible endpoint. You might also check out the new ROON LABS server and compatible players. If you're waiting for the perfect system to come along, you may never take the plunge. Many years ago I had friends that didn't want to buy a computer because they wanted to "wait, because they are getting cheaper and better". With that logic, they'd still not have their first computer!

Leave a comment:

• daleyb
    replied

Good point Gary..I think Iam shooting in the dark.Not being able to *see* what iam doing as I go.To be Honest Ive ripped a lot of Cds Now...So it may be worth Taking the plunge now for a Streamer.My Idea was to rip all CDS to HD first then get a streamer....I know some folk Choose to do this way...but seems risky and like you say you create a work flow.

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied

In Ripper window I set to just : [artist][title].......... For Single artists and Compilations.
    I use my files with several different streamers. There are minor differences on how things are displayed, but good metadata tagging should work well with most decent streamers. And as mville notes, the above is just about the file naming and *not* the metadata.

p.s. If at all possible I would avoid ripping all my CDs *before* I setup some sort of digital playback system. There's nothing quite as valuable in designing a work flow as ripping a few CDs, playing them, checking out how your interfaces deal with tags, etc. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark. And you may decide that you did everything wrong!
    Last edited by garym; 03-16-2016, 11:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mville
    replied

It is not clear (at least to me) what you are asking here.

In CDRipper, Path and Naming are only used to set the folder location and filename for a ripped CD.

Path and Naming do not impact on your metadata (tags), which your streaming software will most likely use.

Leave a comment:

• daleyb
    started a topic Naming/paths/Comps/Folders

Naming/paths/Comps/Folders

Although I've read dbpa sites Info on Naming/paths on the site..Ive still not got my head around it...This is mainly due to not having purchased a streamer yet..(so unsure how whatever streamer I get will "see things". Even reading threads on here...its not yet clicked for me.

In Ripper window I set to just : [artist][title].......... For Single artists and Compilations.

I Haved a few mini panic attacks that the Comps may not give the Info for what Iam seeing on my streamer. I want to keep it Simple.

But then Is not true that I can always go back into Converter RESET the Naming String/path and just Overwrite later.

please note - i always tick the comp box ( if a Comp)....
Working...

]]>