title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dBpowerAMP can't open the .m4a files i have to convert them.

Angry dBpowerAMP can't open .m4a files while converting.

I have some m4a format songs that I would like to convert to mp3. However, when I try to convert them, it tries to convert them and then brings up a dialog box saying "Error whilst converting: example.m4a could not be opened." What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by SpasticNoodle; 08-02-2005 at 04:39 AM.

Re: dBpowerAMP can't open .m4a files while converting.

Have you downloaded and installed the mp4/m4a/Apple Lossless codec from here:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm ?

Can you provide some information about these files in terms of bitrate, channels, frequency, bits and also tell us what format and settings (bitrate, channels, frequency) you are trying to convert to?

Could you also try a test conversion to see if dMC will do a test convert or not. To do a test conversion open dMC and proceed as you would for a normal conversion except that where you choose format (such as mp3) for your conversion, choose "Test Convert (no write).

Best wishes,
    Bill

Re: dBpowerAMP can't open .m4a files while converting.

Was this file a iTunes-purchased song that had the protection removed? If so, what program did you use to remove it?

Re: dBpowerAMP can't open the .m4a files i have to convert them.

I already have the mp4/m4a codec. I tried running a test convert and the file still couldn't be opened. I am trying to convert to mp3 format, 128K bits, 44100 frequency. I don't have any information about the songs I am trying to convert, because I can't open them on my computer. I don't know if they have had their copy protection removed, because I got them off a friend who got them off his friend who most likely got them off his friend etc etc etc you get the idea.

Please Help!

edit: oops, I just realised I put this in the wrong forum.
    Last edited by SpasticNoodle; 08-03-2005 at 04:25 AM.

Sounds like they are protected by DRM and that means you will not be able to convert them. I think most of the software that removes the protection component still needs for you to be able to play them on your PC.

Can the friend who you got them from play them on their computer? If they can, what software do they use to play them? iTunes?

Wayne

Yeah, he plays them using iTunes. is there any way I can remove the DRM protection? I want to convert them so I can listen to them on my computer and on my mp3 player (not an iPod)
    Last edited by SpasticNoodle; 08-03-2005 at 05:55 AM.

There's nothing you can do with the files on your computer. You will have to have your friend remove the DRM and then you use that file. Removing DRM is covered in the "DRM and Copy Protection" section of this forum.

Aren't iTunes DRM files encoded as .m4p rather than .m4a? If they are as portable as you have maintained, you might want to ask what your friend uses to play these files. Perhaps all he needs is iTunes, if he is willing to put up with it. Or perhaps the friend can convert it to a more portable format.

But LtData may well be right about the DRM. Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Normally, yes, iTunes files are m4p. However, an incomplete removal of the DRM will result in your having .m4a files that are still protected.

As for your friend, since he can play these files, he can also unprotect them for you. Just have him use a tool like JHymn to remove the protection.

If I was to download iTunes for windows, could i remove the copy protection myself? maybe by using iOpener?

Only if your friend authorizes your computer to play the protected songs. Your best bet is just to have him remove the protection.

Let me explain the situation in a bit more detail. my friend goes to a very expensive school, where every student gets their own laptop computer. They have Apple Mac OS X on them. They have a server that files can be uploaded to. So these songs have probably been circulating around the whole school, so I doubt they have copy protection on them.

Can you play these songs in any player on your computer? If you can't, then the files probably DO have some DRM protection on them.

I cannot guarantee that these files have DRM protectiion.
    What I do know is that iPod has different formatting systems for Mac and Windows. I found the following piece of information at the iPod Lounge as an FAQ-Can I use my iPod on a Mac and on a PC:
    The easiest way to use an iPod on both Mac and Windows computers is to format the iPod (using iPod Updater) using the PC. This will force your iPod to use the Windows file system (FAT32) which both the Mac and PC can read from and write to without the help of additional software.
    If you need to use a Mac (HFS+) formatted iPod on a Windows PC, you’ll need to install XPlay 2.0 (or at least MacDrive) from MediaFour Software. This will enable your Windows PC to read Mac-formatted disks.
    You can find this here:
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/faq...ows-computers/

This suggests to me that the problem may be one of formatting. Perhaps your friend has a PC version of these files already. If not then you may need to consider other resources. I have found the iPod Lounge and their forum to be a handy resource for iPod related issues (especially since I don't have one myself).

Best wishes,
    Bill

I don't know if I can play these songs on my computer, because I don't have a player that supports them.