title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Lame Encoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mp3it
    • Jul 2005

Lame Encoder

With regards to payment for the lame encoder, I just wanted some clarification please.
    What is the reason why we are now paying for the lame encoder?
    Is it because Fraunhoffer is requesting monies for the use of mp3 encoders on the market?
    If I purchase the licence for the Lame Encoder, can I then rest assured that I would then be using a legal licenced mp3 encoder?
    What about future update versions to the Lame encoder - if there are modifications to it in the future, if I pay for the licence upfront, could I then download the modifications free?

Thanks very much for your help with this.

mp3it
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Lame Encoder

If you pay the fee for the PowerPack/mp3 encoder, you are then using a licensed, legal mp3 encoder as long as you are using the built-in LAME encoder in dMC. The fee isn't a blanket fee that allows you to use the mp3 encoders in every program, the fee applies only to dMC's built-in LAME encoder. Yes, the fee covers all future versions of LAME that are included with dMC.
    Yes, the licensing fee was implemented because Thompson bought the mp3 patent rights from Fraunhoefer and is now seeking return on their investment.

Comment

• mp3it
      • Jul 2005

Thanks very much for your quick reply.
      A few other questions please if I may.
      If I create legal mp3s with the Lame Encoder and pass these on to my friends, do they need to purchase the Lame Encoder as well in order to listen to the mp3's or can they listen to them without having to purchase an encoder?
      How do I download the latest version of Lame Encoder?

Thanks in advance for your input on this.

mp3it

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Listening to mp3s doesn't require an encoder. Encoding to mp3 is the only thing that requires a license.
        As for updating, see here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6723

Comment

• mp3it
          • Jul 2005

Thanks again for your quick reply.
          I checked the link you suggested and in part one of the replies says:
          You can download the 3.96.1 version from http://mitiok.free.fr/ and then copy and paste it into the same folder as the current Lame encoder ....

When I visit that link, I am unable to connect to that web page.
          Is it still a valid address?
          Thanks for your help.

mp3it

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

Nope. It's a dead site. Try using this one instead here: http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html

Comment

• mp3it
              • Jul 2005

Thanks.
              Is it safe to say that no matter where I download the Lame Encoder, as long as I purchased the power pack/licence for the converter that any Lame Encoder I download will be a legal encoder?
              Also, is the Mp3 (Fraunhofer IIS Mp3Enc CLI) also a free legal encoder?
              Which is better, the current Lame Encoder or this Fraunofer encoder?

Thanks for your input.

mp3it

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

The Fraunhoefer CLI encoder requires a .exe file that had to be paid for originally and it seems is no longer available. Also, the mp3 encoder included with WMP 10 is also legal.
                As for better, probably LAME is better, but that's a matter of personal taste.

As for downloading a new LAME codec, as long as you are replacing the current dMC LAME .dll file and not getting the .EXE CLI codec, you should be fine legal-wise.

Comment

• NoOne
                  • Jul 2005

But LAME is open source. Codec and all. Free. You shouldn't need any kind of payment. It's just these big companies trying to charge for something that is not theirs.

Free and legal under the LGPL license.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

It is patents, ie: Someone patents xyz, if I use xyz in a product, even if I created it all myself from scratch the patent fee still has to be paid.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

They created the mp3 compression scheme and patented it, as Spoon says. It doesn't matter if you use Blade, Fraunhoefer's encoder, or LAME, they all use mp3 compression that is covered by formerly Fraunhoefer and now Thompson's patents. Therefore, they will be required to pay a royalty fee to Thompson to continue to use the encoders. If they aren't now, they will be soon.
                      Legal under the GPL in that they aren't using copyrighted code but they are using a patended process. They can distribute the source code freely, but anyone that uses the patented process will be required to pay a royalty fee.

On a side note.. when does the mp3 patent expire again? :D

Comment

• mp3it
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by LtData
                        The Fraunhoefer CLI encoder requires a .exe file that had to be paid for originally and it seems is no longer available. Also, the mp3 encoder included with WMP 10 is also legal.
                        As for better, probably LAME is better, but that's a matter of personal taste.

As for downloading a new LAME codec, as long as you are replacing the current dMC LAME .dll file and not getting the .EXE CLI codec, you should be fine legal-wise.
                        Where can the new LAME code with the latest dMC LAME.dll be downloaded?
                        I have 3.96. Is there an update to this version?

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

dMC r11 includes the latest version, 3.96. Since you already have this version, you're fine.
                          Updates can be found at LAME's website, but I'm not sure where exactly to get updated .dlls other than new versions of dMC.

Comment

• mp3it
                            • Jul 2005

Would one be entitled to new versions of DMC once the licence has been paid for the Power Pack and the Lame Encoder for dbpoweramp?
                            If yes, where could you redownload the latest registered version?
                            Thanks again.

Comment

• LtData
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • May 2004

Yes, paying for the PowerPack entitles you to lifetime updates to dMC.
                              New registered downloads are done here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/registration/
                              Also, you can just install the new versions overtop of your existing version and keep your registered status.

Comment

Working...

]]>