title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

db issues: converting wma to mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richards1052
    • Oct 2004

db issues: converting wma to mp3

I'm a first time user of dbpoweramp & am having some problems figuring out how to use it.

I would like to convert all the wma files (several hundred) in the music folder of my pc hard drive to mp3 files. My first problem is I can't figure out if I'm able to do this entire conversion problem at one pop--or whether I have to individually convert files or subfolders within the larger music folder (ugh).

Second, when dbpoweramp asks me which files I want to convert, there isn't even an option for wma files so it doesn't even "see" them on my hard drive. Do I need some sort of plug in to correct this or have I not configured the program correctly?

UPDATE: I discoverd the windows media audio codec & downloaded it. But dbpoweramp is still not seeing any of my wma files. What gives?
    Last edited by richards1052; October 28, 2004, 05:39 AM.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: db issues: converting wma to mp3

Originally posted by richards1052
    I'm a first time user of dbpoweramp & am having some problems figuring out how to use it.

I would like to convert all the wma files (several hundred) in the music folder of my pc hard drive to mp3 files. My first problem is I can't figure out if I'm able to do this entire conversion problem at one pop--or whether I have to individually convert files or subfolders within the larger music folder (ugh).

Second, when dbpoweramp asks me which files I want to convert, there isn't even an option for wma files so it doesn't even "see" them on my hard drive. Do I need some sort of plug in to correct this or have I not configured the program correctly?
    You have to download the WMA codecs from Codec Central ( http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm ). Please follow all instructions carefully there, as there are 2 or 3 steps you have to do.

Yes, you can convert a large batch of files at one time, but I'd first do some spot checks to make sure they are ok. You can do a test conversion first as well on a large batch of files to ensure they are readable.

I hope your files aren't protected.

Comment

• richards1052
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
      You have to download the WMA codecs. Please follow all instructions carefully there, as there are 2 or 3 steps you have to do.

I hope your files aren't protected.
      AHHH, you've just reminded me that the directions say to close down the pc & log back in before the codec will become operative. That's my problem.

I haven't done anything to protect them, so I too hope they're not.

BTW, I've heard there will be some loss of audio quality. Will this be significant or minor?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Note to self: when one starts typing a reply, send it rather than letting it sit there for an hour or so.

And yes, there will be a small loss in quality. This is due to going from one lossless standard to another. The best way to preserve audio quality is to rerip the original source, if you have access to it.
        Last edited by LtData; October 28, 2004, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

BTW, I've heard there will be some loss of audio quality. Will this be significant or minor?
          The extent of loss of audio quality will also be related to the quality of your mp3 settings. Assuming other factors (frequency, number of channels, bit setting) remain constant, you need to set your bitrate for your mp3 files that you are creating at least 32 kbs. (perhaps up to 50% higher) than your wma files to get equivalent audio quality. So if your wma files are 64 kbs. you will want to set your mp3 setting to 96 kbs. If your wma files are 96 kbs., you want your mp3 setting to be at least 128 (and maybe up to 150 kbs.). This rule of thumb is for converting from wma.

Going higher than this will reduce the extent of loss further but even at the maximum mp3 setting of 320 kbs. you will not have quite the same audio quality as your original wma files (but you will have a much larger file). Practically, you may not notice much improvement in the quality of your mp3 files at bitrates above the +32 kbs/+50% setting mentionned above. To make sure of this you can try ripping a few of your wma files each to the same variety of mp3 bitrate settings.

And, as LtData says, re-ripping from the original source is always better with lossy codecs.

Best wishes,
          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>