title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m4a to mp3 - id3 tags lost

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

m4a to mp3 - id3 tags lost

When I try to convert m4a files to mp3, in most cases there are no tags anymore in the mp3s in the end.
    I have "preserve id tags" checked.

Would be nice, if someone could solve the problem...
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: m4a to mp3 - id3 tags lost

I have not run into this problem, however I do not have a lot of experience with mp4/m4a/AAC file formats except for what I've done researching problems. Can you confirm that the original m4a files had tags before converting? Do you know what type of tags these are (information will contained within tag)? Can you tell us what program(s) were used to create the m4a files?
    I assume you have the mp4 & AAC decoder installed. Do you have the AAC>mp4/mp4>AAC codec installed? (If not, you might try it).
    Do you have the Power Pack? If so, have you might try using the Tag From File Name utility codec.
    Good luck and best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• hans-j�rgen
      • Sep 2004

Do you have the AAC>mp4/mp4>AAC codec installed? (If not, you might try it).
      This rather is a file muxer, probably using mp4creator, and enables to either create a MP4 file from an AAC file or vice versa. It does not help with tagging issues, because mp4creator cannot keep or transform existing ID3 tags to MP4 (= iTunes) tags, it deletes them.

Do you have the Power Pack? If so, have you might try using the Tag From File Name utility codec.
      This might be the reason why the original poster loses his tags, although he writes "in most cases"... As far as I know, the Power Pack enables tag writing from file names if there are no tags yet. So if the file names of the *.m4a files are usable for transferring them to ID3 tags on the resulting MP3 files, it might work, if the file names are messed up or simply have another structure, it might fail.

Comment

• Unregistered

The m4a files were converted from mp4 files from the iTunes music store. I used the programm "hymn" for that. The m4a have title, interprete, gene, album etc in the tag. After converting to mp3, as you have read above, this information is away.
        I haven't installed this Powerpack, would you suggest to do so and then try again?

Comment

• hans-j�rgen
          • Sep 2004

I haven't installed this Powerpack, would you suggest to do so and then try again?
          Well, at least the "Tagging from filename" feature might help. But since I haven't used dbpowerAMP yet, I'm not sure if this is the reason why you lose your MP4 tags. Furthermore the Powerpack is shareware, but can be tested for one month.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Hold the mouse over the mp4 file, if the ID tag can be read by dBpowerAMP it will show in the popup.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

OK. You have tag information in your converted m4a files and this information is not being used to create tags when you convert to mp3.
              Please go to dMC Configuration (All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dMC Configuration). Click on the button that reads ID tag options. Under MP3 what does it read by the title "Tag Creation"? If it does not read "Smart v1 and v2" (for dMC 10.1) or "Smart Ape2 & ID3v1" (for the dMC 11 beta), then set that as your option and check to see if that fixes it.
              Sooner or later you will probably want/need the Power Pack. It should not be necessary to convert tag information but it does enable you to download and use a utility codec that allows you to create tags from the file name where your file name is based on track information. This would be handy in your situation if your converted but untagged files had file names you could create tags from.
              Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

This does not work. DBpoweramp can read the tag info (when hovering the mouse above the filename), but the converter does not (either when converting or through the edit tag right click.)

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

That is odd, the popup info uses the same tag reader as the converter - using the latest dMC R11? beta?
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Yes, had just downloaded the latest beta before trying.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Install the mp4 decoder again, try experimenting - convet mp3 (with tags) to mp4 then mp4 to mp3.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Hi. I have the same problem. I've used Hymn to convert my iTunes files to m4a's. When I hover my mouse over them I get all the tag info including album, title, artist, genre etc. However, it appears that at this stage the tag information is empty. The above information is stored in the 'file details' section, not the tag. Therefore, when converting to mp3, ogg, wma etc it drops the file info, and just keeps the file name (the tag info remains empty). This seems to be an issue with the Hymn conversion... not the subsequent dBpowerAMP conversions.... Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Neil.

Comment

• CaptainHook
                          • Jan 2005

I've had the same problem and have discovered this: if you use Foobar2000 you can edit the tags of the m4a file. HYMN seems to create what I guess is a non-standard tag: 'COVER'. If you remove this in Foobar2000 and then convert to mp3 using dbpoweramp the tags seem to be carried over.

I'm not sure if the hassle involved is worth it but it might point someone else towards a more elegant solution.
                          Last edited by CaptainHook; January 07, 2005, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>