title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dbpoweramps cd ripper causes blue screen of death or sudden reset of entire system

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • extent
    • Oct 2008

dbpoweramps cd ripper causes blue screen of death or sudden reset of entire system

I have a clean installation, and using the latest poweramp software on xp. the sudden reset of the entire system happens every time when i insert any album which also has extra bonus content/pc data (eg a muse album which has an auto booting menu offering music videos or wallpaper on the same disc). albums which do not have such content work fine, but dbpoweramp is not stable enough for me to insert discs to convert to mp3 and cross my fingers they dont have such content to damage my hd or windows. Can anyone help? I have tried cleaning the registry etc but nothing solves the instant resetting with 'enhanced' audio albums when i try and convert to mp3. thanks for any info
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: dbpoweramps cd ripper causes blue screen of death or sudden reset of entire syste

Have you checked the option: "Prevent auto-run on all CD drives"?

-brendan

Comment

• extent
      • Oct 2008

Re: dbpoweramps cd ripper causes blue screen of death or sudden reset of entire syste

Has an instant reset been known to happen with albums that have pc content, when cancel autorun is left unchecked? If its not a known issue then it probably wont make a difference. thanks

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by extent
        Has an instant reset been known to happen with albums that have pc content, when cancel autorun is left unchecked? If its not a known issue then it probably wont make a difference. thanks
        Spoon's position (and mine as well, though I'm not part of Illustrate) is that nothing his code does should cause a BSOD. It is definitely a microsoft or third party driver bug of some sort. Since you reported it only happens on cds with "extra" content, I proposed this as a workaround.

-brendan

Comment

• extent
          • Oct 2008

conflicting programs that may share the same cd conversion elements or damaged drivers, i just wouldnt know how to fix it or where to look! the instant reset of the whole system happens every time on enhanced albums. the blue screen happened only once, but it would appear after it would suddenly reset as i inserted an enhanced disc when the dbpoweramp cd conversion program was running. the blue problem screen would show just before my log in after the reset. i would then have to restore to a previous time. I will try what you say with stopping the enhanced elements.. and post the result. thanks

Comment

• extent
            • Oct 2008

i just tried ripping to mp3 in wmp and the system reset just after the rip, so whatever both these programs need to rip must be damaged, but no idea why its just with pc enhanced discs. i scanned and am virus free, not on the net on the machine anyway. Changing the options in dbpoweramp did not work, although it seems that some discs with pc data cause an instant reset which tell me i have recovered from a serious error, others i now get "cdgrab.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".. when in dbpoweramp. Perhaps this is the route of the problem? I have also found someone back in 2004 with the same dbpoweramp problem: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6376
            Last edited by extent; 10-27-2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Wayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2002

What happens if you insert the enhanced CD and wait for any access activity to stop before launching the Cd Ripper?

Comment

• bhoar
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Wayne
                What happens if you insert the enhanced CD and wait for any access activity to stop before launching the Cd Ripper?
                On the opposite tack: is it possible that one of these enhanced CDs installed a destabilizing copy protection scheme (filter drivers, rootkit, etc.) before you enabled the prevent auto-run option (or while the cd ripper wasn't running at all)?

-brendan

Comment

• extent
                  • Oct 2008

if i wait then the cdgrab.exe error message appears. other discs just make the system reset, but its not shutting down properly when it does, the screen goes black and then straight to the boot up screen. I dont think its a SP2 problem though as with the link in the above post

Comment

• extent
                    • Oct 2008

im pretty sure the audio discs arent installing anything, definately didnt do so before i switched auto run off in dbpoweramp. auto run has always been off with the standard dvd drive also so when no progs are running and i insert any disc, nothing ever happens or start to load up. some discs are still causing the reset, others just that cdgrab.exe error

Comment

• bhoar
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2006

maybe spoon has an idea?

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Only that a re-install of Windows would fix the problem (unless it is a dodgy CD drive, you might try a different CD drive first).
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• extent
                          • Oct 2008

ill do an entire system reinstall and put dbpoweramp back on before anything else to see if it still occurs. i just couldnt work out what is possibly conflicting or not installing properly, causing it to happen only on enhanced discs-if its not the above cdgrab file which could be corrupt or not working 100%. I may have had similar audio codecs and various dvd or cd ripping programs already installed as i do alot of video conversion, but i did not have anything to rip audio cds aside from windows media player. a restore does not seem to fix the problem whatever the date, so ill go crazy if it happens again after everything is back on the system! The version of windows is xp with sp2, noticed in one of the links above in my previous post dbpoweramp may have had issues with some people using this version. After installing dbpoweramp again before anything else, ill try ripping the same media enhanced cd albums each time i install something new (such as the video encoding software i use) to see what could be conflicting. thanks
                          Last edited by extent; 10-27-2008, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• bhoar
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2006

If you've installed DVD-ripping software such as AnyDVD (and others), then there are likely "filter drivers" installed, and some may (maybe) interfere with audio CD extraction tools, esp. those that perform more in-depth disc scanning and reading, such as dbpoweramp.

-brendan

Comment

• extent
                              • Oct 2008

the main ripper i have installed is dvd decrypter. my other video tools are auto gordian knot which has one built in. My other main progs are dvd flick and dvd shrink. the rest is all for conversion or editing, dvd flick, avisynth, dvd author, and a vob joining tool. I have wmp, vlc players. Prior to installing i may have installed a codec package which would have included mp3 etc, dont know if its related to codec or if its purely a dvd hardware issue. The only other thing i can think of is perhaps ccleaner may have deleted something valuable to the program for ripping enhanced discs? Could a damaged Cdgrab.exe which comes with the program cause the constant crashing? Perhaps something i installed conflicted if something wasnt accidentally removed that caused it not to function, although im not sure exactly what cdgrab.exe main function is in dbpoweramp, or if it can have problems with enhanced discs

Comment

Working...

]]>