title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Update album art?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jn99
    • Aug 2007

Update album art?

Sorry for double posting, but I realized that in the thread under wishlist I might not get much help. I need to find a way to update a lot of album art currently embedded in tags (flac files).

Basically, I goofed and enabled album art as a meta tag for all my rips into flac. All the while when I did not like the image (as with the X&Y referenced above) I replaced folder.jpg with a version grabbed from amazon or scanned myself, etc. Sadly I kept finding the old version apprearing in my player and only now figured out why.

Is there anyway to quickly and easily fix this? Will I have to go back through and delete the album art tags from all the discs I've ripped so far. I hope not but I fear that may be the case :vmad:

What's worse when I looked into doing this, it does not appear to be something that can be done in "batch" mode, i.e. when I select all tracks for an album then go to edit tags, album art does not appear; it only appears when I select to edit a single track at a time and I cannot imagine fixing my album art this way :(
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Update album art?

You can do it in batch mode, albeit with the "ID Tag Update" utility codec. Just put the correct folder.jpg into the folder then run the Manipulation --> "Import album art from folder.jpg". You can even do multiple folders this way via the Batch Converter as long as the folder.jpg is correct.

Comment

• jn99
      • Aug 2007

LtData, where do I go for this? I don't know what you are referring to with eh Manipulation feature you refer to. Also, do I need to download the codec you refer to for this? Thanks!

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Go to Codec Central at the bottom and follow the links to download the (beta) "ID Tag Update" utility codec. The "Manipulation" Option is a tab in the ID Tag codec.

Comment

• jn99
          • Aug 2007

After my post I found and installed the codec, but I don't have any of the options showing up. If I go to configuration and check under codecs, it shows as installed. Any ideas? Am I supposed to see the manipulation options now when I select to convert a file?

edit: okay I figured out I have to select the codec when I do a convert, so one problem solved. Now I have a question about how this works. Is there a way to have it ONLY update the album art and not update any other tags, etc? For my first attempt I selected an artist with about 10 albums and it started processing them and gave me a status message saying estimated time to complete was 10 hours :cry:

edit: Something must be wrong, now I have gone back and tried with just one album and after about 45 seconds of processing, it is telling me 20 hours (and still counting up!) hours to complete!

edit: It ended up taking 12 minutes, so much beter than 20 hours, but that was one album with only 8 songs. It took about 7-8 minutes to rip the album in the first place so I don't understand it taking this long to edit one ID tag.
          Last edited by jn99; 08-21-2007, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• buddyy
            • Aug 2007

Hello, Backtracking to the 'wishlist' post on alternate album art for the Coldplay disk - I've been following this thread as well and decided to try the batch converter as a first experiment. It is working, but somewhat more slowly than you might expect. I tried to get away with not actually transcoding anything but rather just having it calculate crc's or something while applying the dsp/id-tag/manipulate rule to replace album art with folder.jpg. No good. Had to actually transcode - in this case from flac to flac, so hopefully no data lost, but doing so takes extra time rather than just tweaking the id-tags with the new album art. Watching the converter run, there's a very clear and long pause after the transcoding completes whilt it updates the id-tags. Something definitely slow happening there. It's taking 7minutes to walk through the 13 tracks on this album (machine is a dual-core athalon at 2.8G, dual L2 caches at 512k for reference). Thank mother amd (or mother intel if you go that way) for dual-core and up processors!

I'll test drive the alternate album-art during rip process in a few minutes as described in the other thread just to make sure I know how to play it.

Thanks,
            Buddyy

Comment

• jn99
              • Aug 2007

After playing around some more I finally settled on deletion of all album art tags, which worked like a charm - 1592 files in just over 7 minutes! I don't know if there is any real benefit to the embedded art anyway, my main use with the files is Sonos and it read the folder.jpg directly if there is no album art tag. Whew!

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

As I said before, if you get the "ID Tag Update" utility codec, you use that as your codec and don't need to transcode.

Comment

• jn99
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by LtData
                  As I said before, if you get the "ID Tag Update" utility codec, you use that as your codec and don't need to transcode.
                  Perhaps true, but processing time is still extremely slow for simply updating or writing the album art tag. They can be deleted is I found, very quickly (about 2-3 tracks/second) but replacing the album art, or adding it from the folder.jpg file takes significantly longer. In my trials, about 10-12 minutes for a replacement for one album, and about 2-3 minutes for adding (embedding) the art tag. Somethign seems wrong with that to me.

Comment

Working...

]]>