title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Limiting file names to Windows Maximum path limit of 256 characters

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MataRatos
    • Oct 2023

Limiting file names to Windows Maximum path limit of 256 characters

I am converting my FLAC files to OPUS using Batch Converter. When creating the files, I have it set to a folder and then this string to create the files:

[album artist]\[tag]originalyear[] - [album]\[IFMULTI][disc][][track] - [title]

The issue is that some musics have long names, especially Classic Music, and then it creates several folders, cutting their characters, so that it fits in, I believe...
    I would like to know how to limit the length of the files created so that they stay within the 256 windows limits.

Thanks
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Limiting file names to Windows Maximum path limit of 256 characters

this is the naming string in my ripper settings. Notice the [MAXLENGTH]240, "everything else" ending with [] to close the max length function.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]

Comment

• MataRatos
      • Oct 2023

Re: Limiting file names to Windows Maximum path limit of 256 characters

Originally posted by garym
      this is the naming string in my ripper settings. Notice the [MAXLENGTH]240, "everything else" ending with [] to close the max length function.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]
      Thank you very much! Will try it.

Comment

Working...

]]>