title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Convert 96/24 FLAC to 48/16 AAC file for use on Apple iPod

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huemanoid
    • Jul 2014

Convert 96/24 FLAC to 48/16 AAC file for use on Apple iPod

I have been attempting to convert my hi res FLAC files from HDTracks to an AAC format that can be played on an iPod. I'm using the FDK AAC encoder. It's my understanding that the iPod is limited to 48/16 files for m4a/mp3. However, I don't see that there is an option to specify the kHz/bit depth of the output file. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the assistance.

Huemanoid
  • Botrax
    • May 2005

Re: Convert 96/24 FLAC to 48/16 AAC file for use on Apple iPod

Converting to AAC should output to 16-bit. AAC also supports 96khz, so to force it to 48 or 44khz, you can use a DSP function to Resample.

However, myself right now with FDK AAC 2.1, all my output tracks for iPod are played at 22khz even though they are 44khz. Because of the AAC Header/Tags that specify that the file supports 22khz as well as 44khz, not all players actually play 44khz. I am having to do away with the defective FDK 2.1 and revert to DBPowerAmp 14.4 and Nero AAC to have proper iPod playback.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Formats such as mp3 or AAC do not have an internal bitdepth, it is the decoder (player) which chooses what to decode at.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Botrax
        However, myself right now with FDK AAC 2.1, all my output tracks for iPod are played at 22khz even though they are 44khz. Because of the AAC Header/Tags that specify that the file supports 22khz as well as 44khz, not all players actually play 44khz. I am having to do away with the defective FDK 2.1 and revert to DBPowerAmp 14.4 and Nero AAC to have proper iPod playback.
        Most people who write AAC for an ipod / iphone would encode to something like 224kbps, where HE or HE+ is not needed.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>