title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MP3 to FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dogstar
    • Apr 2014

MP3 to FLAC

I already have a library of MP3's. i know i can convert these to FLAC but will they still be loseless due to the files already being compressed in mp3 format?
    Do ihave to rip my entire mp3 library agin from the original source i.e cd to flac in order to maintain the loseless format?

Thanks
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: MP3 to FLAC

Originally posted by Dogstar
    I already have a library of MP3's. i know i can convert these to FLAC but will they still be loseless due to the files already being compressed in mp3 format?
    No, as the original mp3 files are lossy, not lossless

Do ihave to rip my entire mp3 library agin from the original source i.e cd to flac in order to maintain the loseless format?
    Yes
    Last edited by mville; 04-24-2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Dogstar
      • Apr 2014

So in lossy the bits of info that it got rid of in the original conversion are lost and would not be replaced if converting back to FLAC?

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

So in lossy the bits of info that it got rid of in the original conversion are lost and would not be replaced if converting back to FLAC?
        Correct

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

This is why it's good practice to rip to the lossless codec of your choice and save an archive. It's pretty quick and easy to convert your original rip to any other codec you may need in the future.

Look on the bright side.....this is your opportunity to make those proper archives once and for all!

Comment

Working...

]]>