title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Format of applied tags (Composer and Genre)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drmrbrewer
    • Dec 2011

Format of applied tags (Composer and Genre)

I'm trying out dbpoweramp.

In the main window before ripping (to ALAC) it looks up the Genre as "Pop/Rock". But in the ripped files, this is applied as "Pop\Rock" - i.e. "/" has become "\". Small point, but annoying. Any way to stop this?

Similarly, Composer is looked up as "Joe Bloggs; Paul Smith" but is ripped as "Joe Bloggs/Paul Smith". Again, small but irritating. I would like to use ";" instead of "/". Any way to stop this happening?

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Format of applied tags (Composer and Genre)

If ripping to mp3 then '/' is the separator for multi-items, such as multi artists, ';' is only use to show the separator between artists or composers, if you were ripping to FLAC it would be stored differently again (each ID Tag format has different rules). That means if the artist is AC/DC then it has to be saved as AC\DC otherwise there are 2 artists AC and DC
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• drmrbrewer
      • Dec 2011

I'm tagging ALAC files. Aren't these just ID3 tags?

Referring to the Genre tag, as mentioned in my post, dbpoweramp insists on tagging as "Pop\Rock" rather than "Pop/Rock" -- the latter seems to me to be far more conventional, for example one would write "and/or" and not "and\or".

If the use of '/' in such tags were somehow inappropriate, then why are they used in the ID3 list of standard Genre tags (e.g. "Pop/Funk")?

See Appendix A of http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0

Thanks.
      Last edited by drmrbrewer; 12-12-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

ALAC uses the iTunes m4a tagging format, and '/' is the separator as well.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
          If ripping to mp3 then '/' is the separator for multi-items, such as multi artists, ';' is only use to show the separator between artists or composers, if you were ripping to FLAC it would be stored differently again (each ID Tag format has different rules). That means if the artist is AC/DC then it has to be saved as AC\DC otherwise there are 2 artists AC and DC
          OK, agreed when used with Artists as this is a multi-value tag. Since when did Genre become a multi-value tag?

Also, using CDRipper 14.2 to Rip to Apple Lossless, Genre Pop/Soul is output as Pop\Soul, but Rip to mp3 (lame) Genre Pop/Soul is output as Pop/Soul (same as FLAC).
          Last edited by mville; 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

We have always allowed multiple genres, Asset uses them.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

We have always allowed multiple genres, Asset uses them.
              So, for consistency, shouldn't Rip to mp3 (lame) output Genre Pop/Soul as Pop\Soul, as it does for ALAC?
              Last edited by mville; 12-13-2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• drmrbrewer
                • Dec 2011

ALAC uses the iTunes m4a tagging format, and '/' is the separator as well.
                Is there a reference somewhere which sets out the rules for m4a / ALAC tags? I'd like to go back through my collection to check that all the tags (especially ones with multi-value type separators like "/", and ";") are applied consistently and correctly.

I have quite a number of tracks ripped to AAC too -- does that use the same tagging conventions as ALAC?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...

]]>