title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

C2 Support

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OlcaytuG
    • Oct 2011

C2 Support

I've been using EAC until recently, and decided to switch to dbpoweramp.
    I bought the software and configured it according to the guide provided on the web site, yet I haven't rip any CD's yet.

What I want to understand is whether my drive really has C2 support or not.
    Test conducted by EAC always said that it did not.
    However when I tried the test described in the configuration guide of dbpoweramp, it detected C2 errors. And not at 1/4 of the test period, but somewhere between 1/10 and 1/8.
    Is it OK that I use C2 support?

By the way my drive is an typical LG dvd writer, one used by most in Turkey.

One more question. I've installed the dbpoweramp at my office computer. And couldn't configure accurate rip yet. Incase I cannot connect to accurate rip servers due to firewall or some other thing caused by my company's server, is it possible that I remove the software and install it at my home computer?

Thanks in advance.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: C2 Support

It sounds like c2 is working, normally if it is not working it will flag up instantly.

You can install on your home computer.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• OlcaytuG
      • Oct 2011

Thank you Spoon, great service here.

One last question. It is very important for me because even if accuraterip works, most of my CD's are not popular and probably not present in its database.

I'm a perfectionist and I want to be on the safe side. I always used test&copy in EAC.
      Longer ripping time or durability of CD drive are not important.

Would it be safer to configure ultra-secure ripping options as follows, even if the drive supports C2 and C2 pointers are used.

Minimum Ultra Passes: 2 Maximum Ultra Passes: 4 End After Clean Passes: 2

What about 3-6-3???
      Last edited by OlcaytuG; 10-12-2011, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

With C2 you do not need a huge amount of ultra passes, as the c2 is there to detect most errors.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• OlcaytuG
          • Oct 2011

But extra passes will not do harm.. Am I right?
          And since I'll not be able to accuraterip, it'll be safer to have at least one ultra pass, right?

Comment

• OlcaytuG
            • Oct 2011

I just need a yes or no.

May I depend on extra passes when accurate-rip is not an option?

By the way, I was mistaken, my drive is not LG.. CDDVDW TS-H653R.
            Last edited by OlcaytuG; 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

No real harm, except to your time to rip.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• OlcaytuG
                • Oct 2011

Thank you very much Spoon.

Comment

• Dexter
                  • Jan 2012

Hi Spoon,

Like the original poster, I am trying out the Reference version of dBpoweramp...and trying to go through your setup. In most of the setup guides I read for EAC, the recommendation was usually to not check the C2 checkbox, regardless of what their test result said.

For dBpoweramp, I created a CD with the black triangle CD as described in your set up & ran the the test to detect c2 error pointers. I instantly got a response that c2 error pointers were detected - the progress bar never appeared on the screen - the response was that quick.

You mention that "if a c2 pointer error is signalled right at the start then the cd drive might not be compatible". Could you elaborate? Do you mean that the drive does not support c2 - or that it is not compatible with the test? I just want to make sure I choose all the right settings.

My drives (both) are HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N. I believe that these are made by LG - but I could not find them on drive features database?

Thank you for your help!

Comment

• eaglescout1998
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Apr 2009

I have an LG Blu Ray burner that exhibits the same behavior. I perform the test and, immediately, I get a response saying C2 error pointers were detected. However, some discs will not rip at all on this drive unless I turn C2 pointers off. In most cases, the "problem" discs are protected. Once C2 is disabled, the disc(s) rip perfectly.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Correct, some drives report they work with C2, but give c2 errors all the time, even when they should not. As the triangle you drew was not on track 1 it should not signal a c2 error for track 1 at the beginning.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dexter
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Spoon
                        Correct, some drives report they work with C2, but give c2 errors all the time, even when they should not. As the triangle you drew was not on track 1 it should not signal a c2 error for track 1 at the beginning.
                        Spoon,

I'm wondering if I might have mis-interpreted the drawing in your instructions. The point of my black triangle is exactly at the border between the ring that contains the matrix information and the area where the CD information begins (i.e. precisely at the point where the matrix ring ends & the digital information for the recording would begin). I wonder if the spot I measured 1 cm from was incorrect? I have a scan of the disc that I could send you if necessary.

As mentioned before, both of my drives report as:
                        Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
                        CD Drive: DVD+-RW GH50N
                        Firmware: B102
                        Serial: 
                        Maximum Speed: 7056 KB/sec (x40)
                        Current Speed: 7056 KB/sec (x40)
                        Spin-down After: 2 minutes
                        Buffer Size: 2 MB
                        Accurate Stream: Yes
                        C2 Error Pointers: Yes
                        Reads ISRC: Yes
                        Reads UPC: Yes

I'm getting ready to do a large ripping project and am seriously considering switching to your software. I just want to make sure my settings are correct.

Thank you for your advice & help!

Comment

• eaglescout1998
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Apr 2009

It has been my experience that drives manufactured by Hitachi-LG Data Storage (HL-DT-ST) have poor C2 implementation.

Try performing the C2 test with a brand new CD. I'd be willing to bet the farm that a C2 error is detected almost immediately.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

You would want 1cm from the first track location, which is past the inside ring
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dexter
                              • Jan 2012

Thanks Spoon!

I picked another CD that had never been played & drew the black triangle on it - this time starting 1 cm from where the recorded information starts on the inside of the disc - and ending where you can see that the recorded information stops, 1 cm in width on the outside. I re-ran the C2 test and this time, I did see a progress bar - and the C2 Error Pointers were detected about a quarter of the way through the test - just as you described. (I also used the same CD in EAC & got the same result, so I'm pretty confident that my drive supports C2. How well, I don't know yet. So, some more "newbie" questions:

1) I'm still not understanding exactly what "Ultra Secure Ripping" does. Using my case for example, I have chosen "Secure" mode, and based on the result of my C2 test, I've ticked the C2 checkbox. Reading the Help file, it says that Ultra Secure "extends the normal 2 pass reading". So does this mean that without Ultra Secure ticked, 2 passes are made as part of the regular Secure setting? Then, if you tick Ultra Secure, depending on your Ultra Secure Minimum & Maximum settings, that number of passes are added to the 2 already done as part of the regular Secure setting? (Example: a minimum of 1 Ultra Secure pas would be a total of 3 passes...a minimum of 2 would be a total of 4 passes, etc.?) The Maximum puts a cap on the number of US passes...and the End After Clean basically says stop after this many good ones? Am I understanding this correctly?

2) If one feels confident that their drive supports C2, but not sure how well, what would be a reasonable Ultra Secure setting?

3) When experimenting with settings, I'm using the old version of Abbey Road - plenty of "history" in AccurateRip. It appears that dBpoweramp "remembers" the rip status & CRC from my previous tests. Is there a way to clear this - so it reads the CD "fresh"?

4) What might you recommend for an Indvidual Bad Frames setting for me? Reading your Setup Guide, you recommend leaving it as is (34) if you have no C2 support. But since my drive does support C2 (again, not sure how well yet), I believe I should raise that, correct?

Again, thanks for your patience!

Comment

Working...

]]>