title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Drive Accuracy Meaning . . .

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbsound
    • May 2011

Drive Accuracy Meaning . . .

I'm trying to understand what the accuracy measurments for the listed drives mean.

1. So when a drive is listed, for example, as 97% accurate, does this mean that 3 out of 100 rips will result in rips that are not bit for bit accurate (even though there is nothing wrong with the CD)?

2. If this is correct, will you know when a drive is not accurate by viewing the extraction log?

3. Does this 3% error rate in this example include a type of error where the AccurriteRip indicates it is error free (rip is accurate) when in fact it is not?

4. Asked a different way, if I'm currently using a drive with relatively low accuracy (Optiarc DVD RW AS-7261S (it does have C2 pointers); this model is not listed but other Optiarc's rank low on the list), should I be concerned that rips performed on this drive are inaccurate even if the extraction log for that rip indicates that all tracks were "Ripped Accurately"?

Sorry for the long winded question, I want to know if a less accurate drive can affect the rips that appear fine or whether it is strictly a matter of having a greater number of documented (in the extraction log for the rip) inaccurate rips that could have been avoided if a more accurate drive was used. Thank you.
    Last edited by rbsound; 05-22-2011, 05:52 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Drive Accuracy Meaning . . .

>does this mean that 3 out of 100 rips will result in rips that are not bit for bit accurate (even though there is nothing wrong with the CD)?

3 out of 100, ripping mixed discs (some might have errors from scratches), so have to be compared to other drives.

>AccurriteRip indicates it is error free (rip is accurate) when in fact it is not?

The odds of this happening are very very low (one in billions).

I have tested various optiarc drives, they were not good cd drives to rip with.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rbsound
      • May 2011

Thanks Spoon. The specific Optiarc drive I have is the AD-7261S (same as 7260S but with Lightscribe, 1.03 firmware); this is not on the list, any knowledge of this drive (CDRInfo gave a decent review, better than the 7200 series)?

I might be able to get the Lite-On iHAS424 but this also is not on the list; any thoughts on this drive?

Finally I also have in my system an LG Blu-Ray burner (WH12LS30), again not on the list. Thoughts on this drive and more generally using BD drives vs. DVD drives?

Problem is most (all?) of the drives on the 2011 list seem to be old drives not available. What would you recommend of the current drives and of the three I mentioned above? At least I know that in the mean time, any rips that pass the AccurateRip test are fine.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I cannot comment on drives I have never tested, I think the Lite-On would perform better.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rbsound
          • May 2011

Thanks Spoon. Can you recommend a good drive (any manufacturer) that the manufacturer currently makes (not a discontinued model)?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

I have not tested any specific drives in the last 8 months.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>