title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

cd ripper metadata using wave encoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonnyevo
    • Apr 2011

cd ripper metadata using wave encoder

hi there!

have bought a version of dbpoweramp referenceR14, and i cannot seem to get metadata for ripped cd's appearing correctly on my upnp media server.

i am trying to rip files in wave format, and am using twonky media server version 5.1.9, but the ripped albums are not seperated on my media server - they all (23 different albums) go into one big 'album' - 'unknown album'. the song titles are all there but not the separate album details or artwork.... the metadata is all there when ripping, but not when put onto my media server.....

is this a known issue with wave encoder? or when using twonky media server?

i am ripping the files using a 'dynamic artist folder'.

is there a 'dsp' that solves this issue?

at the moment i am having to rip using 'flac' encoder, which works totally fine, but i would prefer to rip using wave encoder....

can anyone help me?

thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: cd ripper metadata using wave encoder

>i am trying to rip files in wave format, and am using twonky media server version 5.1.9,

This is the issue, Twonky cannot read the Wave ID Tags.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jonnyevo
      • Apr 2011

hi thanks for the reply....

whats the cure?

change my media server to something other than twonky?:cry:

or is there any other remedy?:p

dont mind, but would like to know.... the flac files seem ok, and anyway is there really much difference in quality between wav and flac?

thanks very much for a further response!!!!

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jonnyevo
        hi thanks for the reply....

whats the cure?

change my media server to something other than twonky?:cry:

or is there any other remedy?:p

dont mind, but would like to know.... the flac files seem ok, and anyway is there really much difference in quality between wav and flac?

thanks very much for a further response!!!!
        use FLAC. there is NO difference in quality between the two (both are lossless, bit perfect format. WAV=FLAC and FLAC=WAV). And FLAC has a commonly accepted tagging approach while WAV does not.

Comment

• jonnyevo
          • Apr 2011

hi there...

thanks garym for the advice, but i was kinda hoping that an 'expert' would answer the questions.....

dont mean to be rude, but i have heard that flac is slightly worse than wav, - no coding/decoding etc involved...

is there anyone who could help me with the other questions posted in this thread?

mr. spoon?

!!!

ta.:komisch12

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

hi there...

thanks garym for the advice, but i was kinda hoping that an 'expert' would answer the questions.....

dont mean to be rude, but i have heard that flac is slightly worse than wav, - no coding/decoding etc involved...

is there anyone who could help me with the other questions posted in this thread?

mr. spoon?

!!!

ta.:komisch12
            What you've "heard" about FLAC vs WAV from some internet expert is entirely WRONG. Given your misconceptions about FLAC/WAV, I'm quite an expert compared to you. And I've answered your other question already (convert to FLAC). And my answer was just a clarification of the shorter answer Spoon already gave you. You're welcome.
            p.s. there is one "expert" on this forum: Spoon (the developer). The rest of us are just users, albeit with some knowledge of the subject matter.
            Last edited by garym; 04-11-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• EliC
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Gary is correct. FLAC is 100% lossless and 100% as good as wav, only about half the size and supports tagging! dBpoweramp now offers an option to not compress the audio inside the FLAC file, so no encoding or decoding, but the size will be the same as the wav (+ a small amount for container and tags)
              Last edited by EliC; 04-11-2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• jonnyevo
                • Apr 2011

thanks for the positive response fellas!

was just a little wary of flac as i have never used it before!!

seems that it is the way forward for me....:smile2:

and EliC - in cd ripper :

"dBpoweramp now offers an option to not compress the audio inside the FLAC file, so no encoding or decoding"

how do i set this up?

is it just selecting 'compression level 0 (fastest)' in the flac encoding options, or do i need to do something else?

thanks again in advance!:p

Comment

• EliC
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Minor update, FLAC encoder wording changed, also includes a FLAC Uncompressed encoding option (which stores audio uncompressed, for those who want WAVE PCM but with better ID Tagging).
                  Install over the top (without uninstalling old) of Reference or Power Pack to retain registration status. This beta times out in November 2011 (full release will be well before then) Changes: Property Extension now registers 'Title' for viewing in explorer CD Ripper: Improved Insert CD page (in relation to main forum) Added

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

thanks for the positive response fellas!

was just a little wary of flac as i have never used it before!!

seems that it is the way forward for me....:smile2:

and EliC - in cd ripper :

"dBpoweramp now offers an option to not compress the audio inside the FLAC file, so no encoding or decoding"

how do i set this up?

is it just selecting 'compression level 0 (fastest)' in the flac encoding options, or do i need to do something else?

thanks again in advance!:p
                    Good luck and have fun in learning the FLAC stuff. I see you have your answer about the "no compression" option. I think you'll find that plenty of folks who care deeply about getting only the best from their digital music use FLAC (and virtually all use compressed FLAC too...they're not worried about this psuedo issue of "processing" changing the audio in some way.). It is true that many use a compression level of 5 vs 8 as some hardware decoders have had to struggle with 8 in certain distinct circumstances....e.g., 24/96 FLAC files in Squeezebox players. No problems if "5" or smaller).

But bottom line, you can even do no compression and still be better off with tagging support. Enjoy. /Gary, the non-expert

Comment

• D.M.1059
                      • Apr 2011

hi there!

i am trying to rip files in wave format, and am using twonky media server version 5.1.9, but the ripped albums are not seperated on my media server - they all (23 different albums) go into one big 'album' - 'unknown album'. the song titles are all there but not the separate album details or artwork.... the metadata is all there when ripping, but not when put onto my media server.....

is this a known issue with wave encoder? or when using twonky media server?

i am ripping the files using a 'dynamic artist folder'.

at the moment i am having to rip using 'flac' encoder, which works totally fine, but i would prefer to rip using wave encoder....
                      Well it looks like flac with no compression is your answer. But I have used wave files for years and there are some players that handle them nicely. You could use a directory structure (which I think Twonky supports) where the tagging info is part of the structure. For instance the artist gets a folder and then inside the folder are the album folders.

Some players can see this and display properly. Winamp did this pretty well, and I think you can do it with twonky with a folder view. You might have to rename some folders but once you figure it out, then you can set up dbpoweramp to do the naming for you. [artist]\[album]\[track] [title] should do it I think.

Another way is to use cue sheets. These are text files that have the metadata in them and refer to the wave files. I think you can get dbpoweramp to create them.

Some players support them like Jriver and Foobar.

I get you about the decoding of flac, and that is why I use waves.

Comment

Working...

]]>