title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

C2 erorrs not detected when using Plextor drives via firewire (Oxford 911 chipset)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boneshaker335
    • Mar 2008

EAC is able to detect C2 errors with my PC setup!

I made another test:

Exact Audio Copy (current version) is able to detect C2 errors with the same exact PC/external case firewire setup that dbpoweramp fails to detect any C2 errors.

So the hardware seems to work.

Comment

• pls1
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2008

Re: C2 erorrs not detected when using Plextor drives via firewire (Oxford 911 chipset

That's great news since this means it is a bug that is "fixable". Multiple firewire ports will be much more palatable to folks than multiple esata or expensive USB interfaces.

Thanks for the persistence.

Phil

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Re: C2 erorrs not detected when using Plextor drives via firewire (Oxford 911 chipset

Originally posted by pls1
        I can get four drives going with four separate R12 instances at X22+.
        I'll bet you will run into all sorts off hardware/interface quirks with multi-drive batch rippers.
        One thing I want to clarify for you about how the batch ripper works is that it basically does the same thing you do with R12. The batch ripper launches a separate instance of the dbpa cd ripper process for each drive. Normally they are hidden, but you can always unhide them and bring them to the front if you think there is an issue. Any problems seen with the batch ripper would therefore be seen with the standard R13 ripper (and vice versa) under this architecture.

If you look in the task manager, you'll see one process for the batch ripper, one process per drive for each instance of the cd ripper and then, of course, a bunch of encoding processes, one or more per track currently being encoded.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

There are instances where c2 will not work in EAC but will in dBpoweramp (atleast on our systems), so it is half a dozen of one, half a dozen of another...

I recently built a system - quad core, 4 drives on PCI IDE cards (darn SATA MB's), on that system you could rip all 4 drives at x40 ripping speed (at the end of a disc) with less than 5% CPU usage (when using test conversion). Using Firewire, or USB you will quickly fill the systems bus allocation for these when using multiple drives.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
            There are instances where c2 will not work in EAC but will in dBpoweramp (atleast on our systems), so it is half a dozen of one, half a dozen of another...
            Yes, but asking "why" here is an important thing to do to reduce the headaches that a lot of users go through trying to get this right. If you (spoon) finally know why this happens, perhaps you can tweak the code so that it always works for dbpoweramp in both the current positive circumstances as well as when it has only historically worked for EAC.

It might be as simple as the buffer sizes used at some point in the chain, which might be too small for certain drive data to be reported back correctly or too large for certain interfaces/drivers to handle correctly.

So much hardware and so many drivers out there are supposed to follow the T10 recommendations and just get it completely wrong.

I recently built a system - quad core, 4 drives on PCI IDE cards (darn SATA MB's), on that system you could rip all 4 drives at x40 ripping speed (at the end of a disc) with less than 5% CPU usage (when using test conversion). Using Firewire, or USB you will quickly fill the systems bus allocation for these when using multiple drives.
            That still doesn't explain why I see the problem with any mix of the following: on-board SATA, on-board firewire, PCI firewire, on-board USB. If the problem had ever gone away in any circumstance, I could understand, but surely the situation with all on-board SATA (tried in both native and emulation modes) parallels your all PCI IDE cards well enough. I don't think that's the explanation for what I was seeing, but I do need to start from scratch with experiments on that hardware again.

-brendan

Comment

• pls1
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jan 2008

brendan:
              Most common (current) RAID oriented SATA MOBOs will not give dbpoweramp C2 detection off their on-board connectors. I don't know why but I spent enough weekend time convincing myself to just give up on certain machines.

Multiple PCI IDE cards (one card-to-one-drive) always work fine for me on any of my machines. Some eSATA PCI card combos work with the PX-755/760 and Samsungs but some don't. One USB plus multiple PCI IDE cards work fine on my quad core workstation with very highspeed ripping and low CPU utilization.

Every other attempted combo has either plain not worked or can't reliably deliver high speed ripping with consistent C2 detection over eight different other (MOBO) machines.

After Spoons' recent post I'm going to sell the Firewire enclosures, cards and cables on ebay.

Phil

Comment

• bhoar
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2006

Yeah. Ok. But the fact that on-board SATA connections aren't working makes me believe this is a software issue of some sort.

-brendan

Comment

• pls1
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jan 2008

Some on-MOBO SATA connections work and some do not. On board RAID MOBOs, at least versions i have, do not.

Not all PCI SATA cards work and not all drives work via SATA. It was a very frustrating and rather expensive month to get my set ups working . Beats me as to what is going on.

Perhaps we can put together a consolidated list of combos that someone has gotten to work as a FAQ

Phil

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

One of the other things I've considered is playing around with alternate firewire and ATA drivers under windows, to work around the 800mbit issue and the PIO issue, respectively:

Once I get ULCLI up to the release v1.00, I'll return to experimenting with drive, IO rates and feature support.

-brendan

Comment

• computer-girl
                      • Dec 2008

Spoon,

How many PCI IDE cards, which manufacturer and model number, and which drives did you use for this setup?

Comment

• computer-girl
                        • Dec 2008

I have my eye on the following drives

Plextor PX-230a
                        Plextor PX-708a
                        Plextor PX-760A

Can I assume that these will work with the configuration above?

computer-girl

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

>Can I assume that these will work with the configuration above?

No, each PCI card might be different. I cannot remember the names of the cards I used.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>