title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

multilanguages and ogg better than mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biboun

Hi, i'm french and i want to know if dmc is avaiable in french.
    I want to know also if it's true that ogg is better than mp3
    thank you
  • MadiZone
    • Aug 2002

1. OGG Vorbis IS truely better than MP3.
    2. dMC is not available in anything but english. I am danish myself, and have no problems with english. It's your own problem that you're soo hostile towards the language of english. In case you've missed it - French is not the future.

Comment

• edgarde
      • Jun 2002

"Make Multilingual" is still filed under "Yet to start" on the dbPowerAMP homepage, at the very bottom. I guess this means they intend to make a French language version, but not any time soon.

Ogg Vorbis definitely sounds better than MP3 at bitrates of 160Kbps or lower, so it's the better option if you want to put a lot of music on a smaller hard drive.

At 192 or higher, MP3 vs. OGG is probably more a religious matter.

recent listening test results (sorry, english language, and not much information really):
      News und Foren zu Computer, IT, Wissenschaft, Medien und Politik. Preisvergleich von Hardware und Software sowie Downloads bei Heise Medien.

Another Vorbis advantage it will always be free; this is because it is licensed as open source software. The MP3 patent is held by Thomson Multimedia, a private company which charges developers for the right to use the MP3 codec, and can legally change the terms under which the codec they own may be used; this obviously need not be in the consumer's best interest.

links to annoying things Thomson has done recently
      Götz writes "The licensing terms of Thomson and the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, who are the owners of the mp3 patents, have changed. Now not only mp3 encoders but also mp3 decoders require a license. This page lists the fees -- it's $0.75 per decoder. As a consequence, Red Hat has already removed ...

Michael Smith points to an article at techreview.com in which "we read about Thomson Multimedia announcing royalties for mp3 streaming, finally. 2% of ALL revenues related to streaming, with a $2000 minimum. A compelling reason to move to Ogg Vorbis for those who have been holding out?" RMS has been...

Incidentally, Thomson are French. They own RCA, who made my television set. I don't object to giving Thomson my money; I just like that Vorbis will not be exploited at the expense of the consumer.

Also, the MP3 standard is finished and will not be enhanced in the future. Vorbis is still being developed. Existing .OGG files will always play in future Vorbis players, and future Vorbis encoders will be further improved.

MP3 currently had much more hardware support than Vorbis. This is expected to change in the future, but right now if you want a portable Vorbis player, you get a Sharp Zaurus, or you make one yourself (not an option for most people).

If you choose to go with MP3 anyway, you should encode with LAME, at a pretty high bitrate (160-256); the typical default rate of 128 is inadequate for most music listening. People who use MP3 more than I recommend VBR (Variable Bitrate) and to not use "joint stereo" (choose just "stereo" in dbPowerAmp).

I record everything to Ogg Vorbis at 192Kbps. I take no chances.

Personal to MadiZone: English is the Microsoft of languages. French is Mac; it will not be going away in the forseeable future, nor should it.

Comment

• Unregistered

thank you edgarde

I just want to thank you, because you've taken the time to answer me. I think I will need a dictionnary for some words but i've understood the main ideas (i hope). I'm interested in ogg, i've a small hard drive, so i will follow your advice. I will record my mp3s (128Kpbs) to ogg at less than 128. The problem was that i didn't know howmany bitrates i would encode it at (i hope you've understand my sentence
        I 've found my answer in the forum(FAQ)
        " OGG at 80Kbit/s pulls off quality on par with an MP3 at 128Kbit/s and definately way better than a WMA at 80 or 96Kbit/s. "
        However, i've an other question. When i encode my mp3 to ogg i note (or remark or... what is the better verb to use in my phrase (i learn english in the same time...)) that even if i choose constant bitrate (128) the songs are encode at 122 or 123 Kpbs. is it normal? Do you advice me to choose variable bitrate?What's the difference?
        The best thing i have to do is encoding to ogg at 80 with varaible bitrate?
        thank you
        excuse me for my english.

Comment

• biboun

oups i've forgotten my name. biboun has write the last post.
          i think i will register, it will be better.

Comment

• edgarde
            • Jun 2002

MP3 conversion to Ogg Vorbis

biboun: I wish my French were as good as your English.

I didn't realize that you intend to re-encode MP3 files into Ogg Vorbis. Vorbis & MP3 are not optimized to handle each other's "artifacts" (= distortion). You will lose sound quality converting from one lossy codec to another - there's no escaping that, even if you encode to very high bitrate Vorbis.

I recommend you try a few conversions and listen to the "before" (MP3) and "after" (OGG) files to see if you like what you hear. Perhaps the difference will be insubstantial.

You will save space; the 80Kbps vorbis file will be about 60% the size of the 128Kbps MP3.

When i encode my mp3 to ogg i note (or remark or... what is the better verb to use in my phrase (i learn english in the same time...)) that even if i choose constant bitrate (128) the songs are encode at 122 or 123 Kpbs. is it normal? Do you advice me to choose variable bitrate? What's the difference?

It is normal for the "average bitrate" to come out different from the "nominal bitrate". The bitrate setting (the "nominal bitrate") for Ogg is really just an estimate; some sounds compress better than others.

I recommend you keep the default settings (stereo, variable bitrate, 44.1Khz). They are best.

Es.

Comment

• edgarde
              • Jun 2002

regardons!

When i encode my mp3 to ogg i note (or remark or... what is the better verb

I think you mean "note" (which can mean observe or remark) or "notice" (which, as a verb, more specificly means observe).

Es.

Comment

• biboun
                • Nov 2002

i'm now a registered member.
                thank you for your answer and your little english lesson
                I think instead of asking question like i do, i should read all the FAQ and the previous posts, because many answer to my questions are there.
                i began little by little to understand how works all these music formats and you contribute towards that. (re thank you)
                on the other hand, "insusbtancial" is not in my dictionnary,
                i think" the difference will be insubstantial. "=there's no difference". is that true?
                So the best thing i've to do is to let my mp3 alone. I must convert to ogg only the wav coming from CDs.
                So if i dl music from internet, i will always have mp3s on my computer because mp3 is the most popular all i dl is mp3.

(Oups i made a big mistake "What's the best verb...and not the "better" whaht a shame!:rolleyes: )

You're from philadelphia?the state where the killers of washington has killed 1 person?Philadelphia is under NY?
                i take advantage of that forum to learn english and amrecian geography.
                thank you

Comment

• biboun
                  • Nov 2002

eh i've not seen your word in french. do you speak french?

Comment

• koden
                    • Jul 2004

Re: multilanguages and ogg better than mp3

I'm also danish and would like a help file in danish.
                    MadiZone has explained that it only exist in english.
                    He did it in a way, that was'nt very friendly. :cry:
                    I feel sorry for him, and just so that you all no it....not all danes are like him.
                    We are normally friendly and helpful..... :smile2:

Comment

• MadiZone
                      • Aug 2002

Re: multilanguages and ogg better than mp3

This is a very dated thread.
                      Yes, I can see I appeared hostile.
                      I must have been in an angry mood at that time to put out such a reaction.

I apologize. :komisch9:

Koden is right - us danes are very nice people. :smile2:

Comment

Working...

]]>