title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

converting .ra files to iTunes format

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SSKim1779
    • Aug 2005

converting .ra files to iTunes format

I have been trying for days to get some RA files converted to a format I can play with iTunes. I installed dmc with the DirectShow codec, MP4 codec, and iTunes codec. Everything seems to be in working order (RA/RM extensions added to DirectShow, ran config utility), but when I go to do the actual conversion, dmc does not show my RA files in its list of available files to convert. I made sure everything was installed in the same folder and rebooted the computer several times. I will point out that in the list of installed codecs in the utility program, it does not specifically list .ra or .rm extensions. It says only 'Release 1' next to it. However, the extensions are in the DStxt file, so I think they are included.

I am very confused and frustrated as to why this is not working. If anyone has suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated. I am new at this, though, so please be as detailed as possible.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: converting .ra files to iTunes format

Umm.. you need Real Alternative too, as said here from Codec Central:
    Download 'Real Alternative' from http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1054136293/1 (or search in Google for Real Alternative) add .ra .rpm .rm .ram .rmvb all on separate lines to Configure DirectShow Decoder

Comment

• SSKim1779
      • Aug 2005

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have that too.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

You added ".ra .rpm .rm .ram .rmvb" to separate lines to Configure DirectShow Decoder?
        After this is done, or if it is already, check dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) to see if .ra and the rest show up.
        If they do show up but you still can't convert the file, try playing the file in the RA-included "Media Player Classic." Does it play?
        Also, how large is the file? If it is a few kb, it is probably only a meta-file that points to the real file. Open the file up in notepad and see where it points.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

I will point out that in the list of installed codecs in the utility program, it does not specifically list .ra or .rm extensions. It says only 'Release 1' next to it.
          When properly configured, dMC Configuration will show the file extensions for the DirectShow input converter. Although the instructions seem to suggest that you need // before the file extension, you should just erase the .xyc and enter on separate lines .ra, .rm, etc as my esteemed colleague LtData has already suggested. If this does not work, you may need to uninstall and re-install RealAlternative designating it as you default player for RealAudio files.
          That should lead to the file extensions showing up in your dMC Configuration. Once they show up and it still happens that you can't convert this file then follow LtData's further instructions.

Best wishes,
          Bill

Comment

• SSKim1779
            • Aug 2005

OK, here's an update. Thanks to xoas, I got my dMC configuration problem resolved, and dMC is now showing me the RA files and allowing me to convert them. But, when I run the converter, the resulting file has nothing in it and cannot play in iTunes. I have tried converting to both mp3 and m4a formats. Does anyone know what is wrong now? PLEASE HELP! I am so close, I can feel it, and that is soooo frustrating to me.

To answer LtData's questions above, yes, the file plays in Media Player Classic. It is 331KB (5684KB uncompressed) and shows nothing but gibberish when I open it in notepad. Thus, I assume it is an actual file, not a meta-file. Am I wrong to assume that?

Comment

• Wayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2002

Have you tried converting the file(s) to wav format? This will help prove that the files are being decoded properly.

Wayne

Comment

• SSKim1779
                • Aug 2005

Yep, I tried converting them to every format dMC offers, including WAV. All have no running time and minimal KB size.

Comment

• Wayne
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Aug 2002

Can you play these ra files using dAP and/or WMP?

Have you tried converting some other real audio files in case it is just these files causing a problem?

Wayne

Comment

Working...

]]>