title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batch Converter Re-Tag from AMG

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Batch Converter Re-Tag from AMG

There is so much more information available from AMG than the Freedb database that I used when ripping most of my collection, that I would like to re-tag everything based on what is on AMG.

Does this require re-ripping, or is it possible if I use the Batch Converter?

Re: Batch Converter Re-Tag from AMG

dMC doesn't re-tag existing files, it only tags files as you rip them. You need to use a different utility to tag these files based on data it downloads. The program I use for this purpose is called "The Godfather".

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Considering the large changes in the tagging functions and data, this would be a nice addition to the Reference version.

It's hard for me to think about re-ripping over 10,000 tracks, but I really would like to have all of my files to be comparable in their tagging.

It would be very similar to the old codec for re-tagging from File Name, with the addition of reading AMG before the tap routine.

Administrator

It is on the cards, cannot say when though.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

That's great, I'm sure it will be a lot sooner than I would get done if I started re-ripping today!

I think a good time for this to become available would be just prior to your V12 DAP with updated Music Collection, since the tagging discrepancies would possibly be disruptive to the smooth operation of a Music Collection that supported all the R12 tag fields. Just my opinion though....

Thanks Spoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is on the cards, cannot say when though.
    Is this still on the cards?

Administrator

Could be for Q1 or Q2 2009

OK, I'm confused after some digging I found the Release 2 [ID Tag] codec that appears I could do it now.

What exactly does ID Tag do or should I say not do that prevents this.

Part of it's purpose seems to be to "refresh" ID Tags, is it just refreshing the format (i.e. format to a specific version)?

That will be a great feature and a lot incentive for folks to sign up with AMG.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 12-16-2008 at 02:03 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    dMC doesn't re-tag existing files, it only tags files as you rip them. You need to use a different utility to tag these files based on data it downloads. The program I use for this purpose is called "The Godfather".
    Hi LtData
    interesting software - I found what I suppose was the latest version (0.71 beta 2), but I get neither the AMG, nor the Amazon nor the other database lookups working. Did things after the last update of this softwaren change so drastically, that I could not use it to lookup, correct and re-tag my existing flac-collection?

It appears your right, The Godfather can only use FreeDB in the latest beta. Since I haven't used this functionality for years, I wasn't aware of this.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    It appears your right, The Godfather can only use FreeDB in the latest beta. Since I haven't used this functionality for years, I wasn't aware of this.
    I saw that AMG had recently (?) pressured mp3tag to stop using a screen scraping script to pull AMG data from them without a license. Perhaps the same goes for the godfather.

-brendan

I understand no serious design on this may have been done yet.

But could you give a hint on what it could do and perhaps won't do.

I don't want to wait 6 months and then see it won't do what I need or hoped and end up needed to rerip to get what I want.

I had used EAC with accuaretrip for most ripping and now use dppoweramp.

Will there be enough original tag info for the bulk of a re-tagger to work well with AMG?

Will it potentially grab AMG cover art as well?

Is there a CD ID of some sort burried in the flac header that it could use for an exact match. I don't see much useful tags in my flacs from EAC that could help find the exact CD.

I also noticed dppoweramp puts the accuraterip info in the tags which is nice. Which I realize a re-tagger can't do.

If it can't do most of the above I might bite the bullet and just rerip now. If it will do most of it I'll probably wait.

thanks for any info you might know.

Administrator

In theory all yes (tag existing and album art), if you ripped to lossless. The file lengths would be used to generate the ID.

Does this thread imply that Masstaging existing tracks/ library may well see the light of day?

Administrator

Indeed.