title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    OK, cheers Gary. If I am mostly going to use Foobar, and quite possibly purchase a Amazon Fire Tablet (as the faulty Sony has been returned), then would you bother (if you where I!) to change all of my '/' to a ';'? Paul
    id wait for tablet and see how it reads things

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
      id wait for tablet and see how it reads things
      OK, thanks Gary. I am still screaming and jumping up & down at Amazon for a refund for the faulty Sony Walkman. The dispute has dragged on for nearly 8 x weeks now! Paul

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

OK, cheers Gary. If I am mostly going to use Foobar, and quite possibly purchase a Amazon Fire Tablet (as the faulty Sony has been returned), then would you bother (if you where I!) to change all of my '/' to a ';'? Paul
        You probably need to get your head around the difference between a single tag and a multi-value tag and which tags are single and multi-value, as not all tags are multi-value e.g. the Album tag.

For a multi-value tag, Illustrate uses the semi-colon purely as a searator for display purposes. Example, Composer and Composer Sort are multi-value tags:
        Composer Sort = Lennon, John; McCartney, Paul

here, composer sort holds 2 separate data values Lennon, John and McCartney, Paul with no semi-colon. The semi-colon is purely for display.

However for a single tag:
        Album = Weebles; The Greatest Hits

here, album contains a single value Weebles; The Greatest Hits with the semi-colon contained within the data.

What makes this even more complicated is that single and multi-value tag support differs for different file/tagging formats (ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, Vorbis Comments, iTunes MP4, WMA, APE etc.) and is not standardized across all server/client/player software.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
          You probably need to get your head around the difference between a single tag and a multi-value tag and which tags are single and multi-value, as not all tags are multi-value e.g. the Album tag.

For a multi-value tag, Illustrate uses the semi-colon purely as a searator for display purposes. Example, Composer and Composer Sort are multi-value tags:
          Composer Sort = Lennon, John; McCartney, Paul

here, composer sort holds 2 separate data values Lennon, John and McCartney, Paul with no semi-colon. The semi-colon is purely for display.

However for a single tag:
          Album = Weebles; The Greatest Hits

here, album contains a single value Weebles; The Greatest Hits with the semi-colon contained within the data.

What makes this even more complicated is that single and multi-value tag support differs for different file/tagging formats (ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, Vorbis Comments, iTunes MP4, WMA, APE etc.) and is not standardized across all server/client/player software.
          Thanks a lot Mville. That's great. I will have a look at this in more detail and see how to applies to my tagging methods. Cheers, Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Hi Mville,

I was toying with your kind suggestions earlier; as my new Amazon Fire HD tablet arrived - due to the Sony Walkman getting ditched. I will try out putting the SD card into the device to see how it responds to the tagging I have made so far. After which, I may, or may not, replace the '/' I have used with ';'.

In the meantime, I wanted to ask, please:

I ripped a CD by 'The Brecker Brothers'. Please see tagging protocol used (as Inserted Images):

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB_1.png
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	293633

Name:	BB_2.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	293634

I would like them to appear in Foobar (and other playback devices/softwares) as 'Brecker Brothers, The' - but the above tagging does not seem to produce this result. Here is how the folder appears (position) in My_Music:

Name:	BB_3.png
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	293635

Many thanks,

Paul
            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-02-2017, 03:49 PM. Reason: Insert Images

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

That's not foobar you show in BB_3. That's your explorer folder listing which is not the tags at all. You've named the folder "The Brecker Brothers", thus it shows up that way. For INSIDE foobar2000 and the tags, I'm sure it does show up as "Becker Brothers, The" using the ARTISTSORT tag.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

That's not foobar you show in BB_3. That's your explorer folder listing which is not the tags at all. You've named the folder "The Brecker Brothers", thus it shows up that way. For INSIDE foobar2000 and the tags, I'm sure it does show up as "Becker Brothers, The" using the ARTISTSORT tag.
                Hi Gary,

Yes, screenshot 'BB_3' is of My_Music on my Windows PC; which is why the preceding sentence reads:

Here is how the folder appears (position) in My_Music ...
                The above mentioned folder was - as is always the case - automatically created by dBpa. But perhaps the 'naming' was a result of incorrect tagging, on my part?

Cheers,

Paul
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-02-2017, 04:47 PM. Reason: Quotation

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

... should I change the Artist and Album Artist both to:
                  'Brecker Brothers, The'

(This would then match the tags for: Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort.)

And also manually change the folder name (in My_Music)?

I have a few Jazz groups with names beginning the the word 'The' (eg. 'The Mahavishnu Orchestra'), and so this is something I need to address.

Paul
                  Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-02-2017, 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Hi Gary,

Yes, screenshot 'BB_3' is of My_Music on my Windows PC; which is why the preceding sentence reads:

The above mentioned folder was - as is always the case - automatically created by dBpa. But perhaps the 'naming' was a result of incorrect tagging, on my part?

Cheers,

Paul
                    You haven't tagged wrong at all. But if you want your folder names to use ARTISTSORT instead of ARTIST, then you need to change your dynamic naming string to reference ARTISTSORT instead of ARTIST (or do an "if" to do ARTISTSORT if it exists).

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

You haven't tagged wrong at all. But if you want your folder names to use ARTISTSORT instead of ARTIST, then you need to change your dynamic naming string to reference ARTISTSORT instead of ARTIST (or do an "if" to do ARTISTSORT if it exists).
                      Cheers Gary,

That's helpful.

It is only for band-names which include the word 'The' that I wish for folder-name to follow the ARTISTSORT tag.

I would prefer to not be switching the dynamic naming string (for bands with and without the name 'The').

At the moment the Windows folder-names are in christian-name alphabetical order.

Name:	Win.png
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	293636

Name:	Foo.png
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	293637

I am thinking that the best thing to do might be to manually type: "Brecker Brothers, The" (and same for similarly named bands) in both the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST fields. I am guessing that would achieve the desired results without having to switch naming strings.

Cheers,

Paul
                      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-02-2017, 05:22 PM. Reason: screenshot

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

yeah, manual fixing on these few things might be the easiest.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

yeah, manual fixing on these few things might be the easiest.
                          Gary, I will give that a try out. I'll run a re-rip just to test it fully. Cheers.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Gary, I will give that a try out. I'll run a re-rip just to test it fully. Cheers.
                            Why re-rip. Just change folder name and edit the tags.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Cheers Gary, seems to be sorted now!

Name:	Win.png
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	293638

Name:	Foo.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	293639

I will follow this protocol for all such band-names containing 'The'.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Why re-rip. Just change folder name and edit the tags.
                                Because I wanted to test it out from the outset and be sure that the naming scheme worked accordingly. Then I would know it's another minor hic-cup done and dusted with. The CD was still in the drive and it only took 3 x mins.

Comment

Working...

]]>