title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Re-Rips lock machine in unrecoverable state with Plextor PX-W2410A

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Funkoid
    • Apr 2014

Re-Rips lock machine in unrecoverable state with Plextor PX-W2410A

I recently acquired a Plextor PX-W2410A in order to attempt to rip some of my more damaged CDs. It's worked successfully with a number of discs that would previously not rip accurately

I have two or three discs however that are standard audio CDs, the ripping process gets the re-rip stage then hangs about half way through the re-rip at first I thought I was just being impatient but even after leaving it 20-30 minutes the re-rip frames doesn't move any further and the whole machine is completely unresponsive - it always seems to be around the same point in the disc too?

Has anyone had any issues like this before? I can re-rip the same disk in 1 or 4 other drives inaccurately without this problem happening so it appears to be something to do with the Plextor itself perhaps?
  • Funkoid
    • Apr 2014

Re: Re-Rips lock machine in unrecoverable state with Plextor PX-W2410A

Originally posted by Funkoid
    I recently acquired a Plextor PX-W2410A in order to attempt to rip some of my more damaged CDs. It's worked successfully with a number of discs that would previously not rip accurately

I have two or three discs however that are standard audio CDs, the ripping process gets the re-rip stage then hangs about half way through the re-rip at first I thought I was just being impatient but even after leaving it 20-30 minutes the re-rip frames doesn't move any further and the whole machine is completely unresponsive - it always seems to be around the same point in the disc too?

Has anyone had any issues like this before? I can re-rip the same disk in 1 or 4 other drives inaccurately without this problem happening so it appears to be something to do with the Plextor itself perhaps?
    It's worth noting that I've just run the same disc in the same drive through EAC and the disc ripped inaccurately too - it's obvious I'm not going to get an accurate rip from this one but I'm curious as to why dbpoweramp appears to bomb out in this instance?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

EAC and dBpoweramp use different read calls.

A lockup is a hardware interaction fault rather than software, even if EAC does not trigger this, or put another way on a standard CD drive I could not lockup the system even if I tried.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Funkoid
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
        EAC and dBpoweramp use different read calls.

A lockup is a hardware interaction fault rather than software, even if EAC does not trigger this, or put another way on a standard CD drive I could not lockup the system even if I tried.
        Cool thanks spoon, it must just be a combination of the read call, hardware and this particular disc. I've gone through another 20-30 today without issue. Strange!

Comment

• Funkoid
          • Apr 2014

I think I've gotten a little further, I now understand the problem to be caused by DMA/UDMA settings, cd ripper has been running flawlessly (if not much slower!) since I disabled DMA within device manager. So much so I'm confident in saying its now resolved.

My current config has an LG drive which plays nice with DMA is set as the primary on IDE1 and the Plextor set as slave on the same interface. I'll simply set the Plextor up on the separate IDE channel so I can get around the problem that way I don't mind if the plextor rips are a little slower anyway as it will only be getting used once in a while!

Comment

Working...

]]>