title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloud Storage (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Cloud Storage (help?)

Hi folks,

I have now finally finished ripping my Jazz library to FLAC. This has taken 4 x months and amounts to nearly 100GB.

I was looking at various online cloud-storage packages over the weekend as I was thinking of maybe uploading all of my rips for safe keeping. Some companies offer very cheap deals while other are more expensive (I am not sure why the price differences - for basically the same thing - are vastly different?).

Amazon (whom I have 'Prime' with) charge 55GBP per annum for UNLIMITED GB. But I would only need circa 150GB and so I think 55GBP per annum would be expensive for my needs:

I looked at Google Drive which offers 100GB @ 1.59GBP per month. Their next level up is 1TB which costs 7.99GBP per month:

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Cloud Storage (help?)

I cannot speak for any of these as I do not use them. But be careful. Some cloud audio file storage options will replace your files with lossy mp3 files from their own library. You do not want this. You want storage for your EXACT files. So read the fine print.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I cannot speak for any of these as I do not use them. But be careful. Some cloud audio file storage options will replace your files with lossy mp3 files from their own library. You do not want this. You want storage for your EXACT files. So read the fine print.
    Hi Gary,

Yes, Amazon do exactly that with one of their packages. I managed to pin-point the representative down and get a straight answer in the end out of her. Even then she said that Amazon's mp3 versions are far higher quality than anything else on the market. I could not even be bothered to argue!

Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The only long-term solution you can trust is your own. There's little guarantees with online services. How do they protect the integrity of your files? Will they continue their service next year? Will they even be in business in a few years?

Unless you need access to your backup on the go, I think it's better to buy more (external) hard disks for the money instead (at least two backup disks, one preferably away from home).

But if you already have a hard disk backup of your collection, online backup can be an additional alternative. Just don't trust it as your only backup.

Personally, I think it's easier and safer to stick with multiple hard disk backups.

dBpoweramp Guru

You could try storing your FLACs in zip files and sending those to the cloud. If the vendor doesn't open the zips--which they shouldn't--you're good.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Cloud Storage (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    The only long-term solution you can trust is your own. There's little guarantees with online services. How do they protect the integrity of your files? Will they continue their service next year? Will they even be in business in a few years?

Unless you need access to your backup on the go, I think it's better to buy more (external) hard disks for the money instead (at least two backup disks, one preferably away from home).

But if you already have a hard disk backup of your collection, online backup can be an additional alternative. Just don't trust it as your only backup.

Personally, I think it's easier and safer to stick with multiple hard disk backups.
    Hi evasv,

I did not really expect Cloud Storage companies to be fly by night, or for this type of service to be superseded in the immediate future, because I envisage it to be here for the long term. But I guess nothing is for certain.

I have, and use, the FREE Google Drive service (albeit it is 15GB and I have already filled it with random junk etc).

My FLACs are currently stored on the 'C' Drive of my home PC, a 200GB SanDisk micro-SD card, and a Dell 1TB (USB powered) external hard-drive.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    You could try storing your FLACs in zip files and sending those to the cloud. If the vendor doesn't open the zips--which they shouldn't--you're good.
    Hi JH,

Would you store EVERYTHING in 1 x zip? Or, say, each ALBUM ARTIST in 1 x zip?

Thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-04-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi JH,

Would you store EVERYTHING in 1 x zip? Or, say, each ALBUM ARTIST in 1 x zip?

Thanks,

Paul
    Everything in one zip. The zip file can maintain the underlying folder structure.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Everything in one zip. The zip file can maintain the underlying folder structure.
    OK, cheers Gary. I think I am about 2/3 through ripping my library now. Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

My FLACs are currently stored on the 'C' Drive of my home PC, a 200GB SanDisk micro-SD card, and a Dell 1TB (USB powered) external hard-drive.
    OK, so the cloud storage would be an additional backup.

You could perhaps password protect the zip file to increase integrity? I don't know how vendors store the files, if they repackage even zip files, but the Amazon example was frightening.

dBpoweramp Guru

OK, so the cloud storage would be an additional backup.

You could perhaps password protect the zip file to increase integrity? I don't know how vendors store the files, if they repackage even zip files, but the Amazon example was frightening.
    Evasv,

Yes, I was shocked about Amazon.

I might just be safer investing (as you say) in an extra HD, filling it, then storing at my parents house.

Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

You have "decent" safety since you have the internal hdd + SD card + external hdd at home, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have an additional remote backup. Cloud storage is probably safe if you can confirm that you get the same zip file back, but you'd have to monitor they stay in business and check your files now and then. A remote hard disk is a bit safer in my opinion, but has to be checked upon and could fail.

Myself, I have my collection on 3 external hdd's - 1 that I rip to, 1 that I play from and 1 at a friend's house. I probably should have a 4th one considering the amount of work that goes into my collection. How many backups is considered safe & sane?
    Last edited by evasv; 12-04-2017 at 11:19 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

You have "decent" safety since you have the internal hdd + SD card + external hdd at home, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have an additional remote backup. Cloud storage is probably safe if you can confirm that you get the same zip file back, but you'd have to monitor they stay in business and check your files now and then. A remote hard disk is a bit safer in my opinion, but has to be checked upon and could fail.

Myself, I have my collection on 3 external hdd's - 1 that I rip to, 1 that I play from and 1 at a friend's house. I probably should have a 4th one considering the amount of work that goes into my collection. How many backups is considered safe & sane?
    Hi Evasv,

I would say that 3 storage devices is the norm - esp. if you keep one at a different location. But 4 devices would be much better; and I think adequate.

Of course, the HD which is located outside of your home would need to be regularly topped up with your most recent rips to keep it up-to-date.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-05-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Of course, the HD which is located outside of your home would need to be regularly topped up with your most recent rips to keep it up-to-date.
    Yes, and that was problematic during the years when I ripped a lot of CDs. Nowadays my ripping is sparse so I only top up once a year.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, and that was problematic during the years when I ripped a lot of CDs. Nowadays my ripping is sparse so I only top up once a year.
    It will be another four months at least until I am at that stage!