title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RE: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Garym,

All CDs fly like a bird in foobar! In 9 months, I only had one skip which was when Windoze was performing one of it's colossal OS updates/installations.

At the weekend I tried some of the continuous-type CDs (eg. "Miles On The Corner") in foobar and they all played totally fine. And vice versa, I tried CDs with 'gaps' on 'VLC' and they also played fine.

I had not heard of the term 'gapless' before.

Thanks,

Paul
    So your test tells me that VLC doesn't deal well with gapless albums. (yes, gapless would be albums with "continuous" play as you indicate. Examples include most live albums, but also albums such as Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon or The Beatles, Abbey Road (side two).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    So your test tells me that VLC doesn't deal well with gapless albums. (yes, gapless would be albums with "continuous" play as you indicate. Examples include most live albums, but also albums such as Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon or The Beatles, Abbey Road (side two).
    a quick google for "VLC and gapless" indicates a lot of people complaining that VLC doesn't play gapless.

dBpoweramp Guru

Garym,

Yes, that was what I was meaning. A lot of concept albums (esp. in the '70s) used 'gapless' format. As I say, in 'VLC' on my Amazon Fire, the issues occur every single time without fail.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

a quick google for "VLC and gapless" indicates a lot of people complaining that VLC doesn't play gapless.
    Well it's a FREE d/l so some might say: "why are you complaining!"

I am reluctant to d/l it onto my work PC because last time I did this (18 months back) it added some bloatware, and also changed some of my desktop icons to orange traffic cones! But regarding playback, I am guessing that the same thing will happen on my PC as it did on the Amazon Fire?

I did join the 'VLC' forum last year and posted a polite and genuine question. Then some snotty Moderator jumped down my throat, so I never visited there again!

dBpoweramp Guru

For your work pc I&*8217;d use foobar2000.

dBpoweramp Guru

For your work pc I&*8217;d use foobar2000.
    Exactly, foobar has been excellent for 9 months (in my experience).

Goodness knows how long the prat at Amazon is going t take to get back to me. All I asked him to do was find me a suitable music playing app which will work - without bugs - on a Fire tablet. This was 6 days ago and it has been escalated to the highest level!

dBpoweramp Guru

Exactly, foobar has been excellent for 9 months (in my experience).

Goodness knows how long the prat at Amazon is going t take to get back to me. All I asked him to do was find me a suitable music playing app which will work - without bugs - on a Fire tablet. This was 6 days ago and it has been escalated to the highest level!

foobar2000 has a mobile app that works nicely on my Ipad. Not sure if they plan on an android app.

dBpoweramp Guru

foobar2000 has a mobile app that works nicely on my Ipad. Not sure if they plan on an android app.
    To be honest, I never listen to music via my phone. In fact I have never transferred any mp3s to a mobile handset, ever. Horses for courses!

dBpoweramp Guru

To be honest, I never listen to music via my phone. In fact I have never transferred any mp3s to a mobile handset, ever. Horses for courses!
    Huh? An ipad is the same basic thing as your fire tablet. Its not a phone

dBpoweramp Guru

Huh? An ipad is the same basic thing as your fire tablet. Its not a phone
    Is it? lol. I thought that was the name which Apple gave to their phones. This shows you how much I like, and how much interest I have, in phones!
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-05-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Angry Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

Because of the stupid Hewlett Packard laptop nonsense I have not been able to rip a single CD for nearly 2 weeks!

dBpoweramp Guru

I've got foobar2000 on my Android tablet, and I think I recommended it to Paul when he first got the Fire.

From memory, foobar wasn't available from the Amazon store, and as it was brand new, Paul decided that he didn't want to download from outside Amazon - which I can understand after the Sony fiasco.

I don't know if the foobar2000 /Amazon situation has since changed, or a recent Apk is available outside the Amazon store.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I've got foobar2000 on my Android tablet, and I think I recommended it to Paul when he first got the Fire.

From memory, foobar wasn't available from the Amazon store, and as it was brand new, Paul decided that he didn't want to download from outside Amazon - which I can understand after the Sony fiasco.

I don't know if the foobar2000 /Amazon situation has since changed, or a recent Apk is available outside the Amazon store.
    excellent. Then the best advice for Paul is to install foobar2000 on his tablet. Problem solved. (By the way, I expect Amazon to be of zero help in "finding" a good music app.). Paul will also need advice on a good player for his new Mac. Foobar doesn't have a Mac version.

edit: Seems there is some sort of foobar2000 Mac version.
    https://www.foobar2000.org/mac
    Last edited by garym; 07-06-2018 at 07:35 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post

Cheers Oggy,

Yes, when I returned the Sony Walkman last August and replaced it with an Amazon Fire, foobar was not available with Amazon Playstore. I need to check to see if this has changed. I seem to remember someone mentioning that it was available elsewhere and I definitely remember saying that I was a little reluctant to d/l from a non-Amazon source. But now, at the stage I am at, I would be prepared to d/l it from elsewhere.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

excellent. Then the best advice for Paul is to install foobar2000 on his tablet. Problem solved. (By the way, I expect Amazon to be of zero help in "finding" a good music app.). Paul will also need advice on a good player for his new Mac. Foobar doesn't have a Mac version.

edit: Seems there is some sort of foobar2000 Mac version.
    https://www.foobar2000.org/mac
    Thanks Garym,

Yes, I agree. I will have a look at it over the weekend. But I don't know if/how you can add all of those intricate 'strings' and personalization elements to it on an Amazon Fire (like you can on a laptop/desktop)?

Totally given up on the Amazon Tech Team replying! All I asked him to do was recommend a music player which WORKS!

Cheers for the Apple Mac link. I was going to post that question within a new thread next week.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-06-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling