title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Persistent "Grouping" field entry. Probably an iTunes bug but I thought I'd ask...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Persistent "Grouping" field entry. Probably an iTunes bug but I thought I'd ask...

Hi all.

So, I'm finding an odd thing when I import files into iTunes (which is now called "Music" because I've upgraded to Catalina, but that just sounds bloody silly).

I rip a CD to AIFF & then convert to AAC (usually with "batch converter" as I'm often already in the ripper & it's up there in the menu bar). I move the AAC files to their correct location in my iTunes library & import them into iTunes & an entry in the "grouping" field suddenly appears.

I select the album, delete the entry & when I okay it, a different entry appears! Sometimes I can go through 6 or 8 of these before it finally stays deleted!

I'm assuming this is an iTunes bug, as it's been such a big change to split everything that was "the iTunes conglomerate" into different apps, but I just thought I'd check here, to see if there's anything in the ripping & converting process that could cause such behaviour in light of a Mac OS upgrade?

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Persistent "Grouping" field entry. Probably an iTunes bug but I thought I'd ask..

> a different entry appears!

What name is appearing for the other entries?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Persistent "Grouping" field entry. Probably an iTunes bug but I thought I'd ask..

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    > a different entry appears!

What name is appearing for the other entries?
    Yes, sorry. To clarify, it's just the Grouping cell that's changing.

In iTunes, when I select & "get info" on the album, I'm presented with all the different fields, containing the tags from the dBpa rip.

Near the bottom, there's an entry in the "grouping" field that I didn't put there.

So, I adjust all the tags to my liking, delete the "grouping" entry (let's say it says "heavy rock") & okay it.

Then I see that the entry in the "Grouping" field now says "arena rock", so I Get Info, select the "Grouping" cell & delete it again & OK it.

Now it says "stadium rock", so I go through the process again.

I'm sure it's a bug in the new Music app but sometimes I have to repeat this process 7 or 8 times until it finally runs out of suggestions & leaves it blank.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Yes, sorry. To clarify, it's just the Grouping cell that's changing.

In iTunes, when I select & "get info" on the album, I'm presented with all the different fields, containing the tags from the dBpa rip.

Near the bottom, there's an entry in the "grouping" field that I didn't put there.

So, I adjust all the tags to my liking, delete the "grouping" entry (let's say it says "heavy rock") & okay it.

Then I see that the entry in the "Grouping" field now says "arena rock", so I Get Info, select the "Grouping" cell & delete it again & OK it.

Now it says "stadium rock", so I go through the process again.

I'm sure it's a bug in the new Music app but sometimes I have to repeat this process 7 or 8 times until it finally runs out of suggestions & leaves it blank.

I bet you have dbpa writing the "style" tag, which often contains multiple values (e.g., heavy rock, arena rock, classic rock, etc.) This likely shows us with the name "grouping" rather than "style" in itunes. And because it is a multiple value tag field, maybe when you delete it, you're only deleting one of the values and the others show up until all deleted. Check your dbpa ripping setup, under tags, and see if you have "style" ticked to be added to your rips. Untick this and likely problem solved.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I bet you have dbpa writing the "style" tag, which often contains multiple values (e.g., heavy rock, arena rock, classic rock, etc.) This likely shows us with the name "grouping" rather than "style" in itunes. And because it is a multiple value tag field, maybe when you delete it, you're only deleting one of the values and the others show up until all deleted. Check your dbpa ripping setup, under tags, and see if you have "style" ticked to be added to your rips. Untick this and likely problem solved.
    That's fantastic, thanks. I'll try that this evening.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Success!

Yes, if I delete the style tag in dBpa, I no longer get multiple entries in the "grouping" field.

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Success!

Yes, if I delete the style tag in dBpa, I no longer get multiple entries in the "grouping" field.

Thanks!
    Perfect. glad that worked.