title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD Ripper Fails Consistently On Brand New PC

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper Fails Consistently On Brand New PC

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I always thought it was not possible to disable Windows auto-updates (since Win-10). But apparently you can.

It was an agent from Hewlett Packard who disabled them a couple of weeks ago via remote-access.
    Probably thru the Local Group Policy editor.

However, your screenshot shows you are running a windows 10 build (17134.81) that was released on 23/05/2018, only four days ago. I suspect, your PC has been updated to that version, which may explain why you are having issues.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Probably thru the Local Group Policy editor.

However, your screenshot shows you are running a windows 10 build (17134.81) that was released on 23/05/2018, only four days ago. I suspect, your PC has been updated to that version, which may explain why you are having issues.
    Mville,

Maybe it's not possible to completely disable the auto-updates then? The ripping issue started two days ago; up until then it worked fine (as I ripped about 15 discs).

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Mville,

I am quite certain I installed 'Illustrate' 'As Administrator'. But no, I have not tried running the s/w 'As Administrator'.

Paul
    have you tried this yet?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    have you tried this yet?
    Yes, I tried is earlier. No difference I am afraid.

I think I might try a system-restore.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-27-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I think I might try a system-restore.
    can't hurt

dBpoweramp Guru

can't hurt
    Cheers; I'll give it a try in the morning ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Does it show the CD drive with full name in the lower left corner? or does it show as 'Unknown - Unknown'?
    I have performed a system-restore this morning. Now the PC DVD drive shows in the bottom left.

However, I have just tried ripping 4 CDs of which it rips all tracks of each CD successfully bar the last 2 tracks. It may be purely coincidental that the last 2 tracks on all 4 unrelated discs need to be ripped in 'frames, and have 'errors'. I will need to test this further.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have performed a system-restore this morning. Now the PC DVD drive shows in the bottom left.

However, I have just tried ripping 4 CDs of which it rips all tracks of each CD successfully bar the last 2 tracks. It may be purely coincidental that the last 2 tracks on all 4 unrelated discs need to be ripped in 'frames, and have 'errors'. I will need to test this further.
    I suspect this is a coincidence.

dBpoweramp Guru

I suspect this is a coincidence.
    The CDs (ie. the suspect last 2 tracks) ripped first time and without issue on my work PC.

dBpoweramp Guru

The CDs (ie. the suspect last 2 tracks) ripped first time and without issue on my work PC.
    Your work PC uses a different drive from your home PC. As you know, different CD drives have different chances of correctly ripping a CD. That's why having multiple drives is often recommended on this forum. A CD that rips with errors on one drive may rip just fine on another drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

Your work PC uses a different drive from your home PC. As you know, different CD drives have different chances of correctly ripping a CD. That's why having multiple drives is often recommended on this forum. A CD that rips with errors on one drive may rip just fine on another drive.
    Garym,

Yes, you are totally correct.

It must just be a weird coincidence that the final 1 or 2 tracks are unsuccessful on my new (home) PC. I was just concerned that there might be an issue with my new PC (ie. in relation to my initial question).

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Garym,

Yes, you are totally correct.

It must just be a weird coincidence that the final 1 or 2 tracks are unsuccessful on my new (home) PC. I was just concerned that there might be an issue with my new PC (ie. in relation to my initial question).

Paul
    when I have issues with only some tracks not ripping without error, it almost always happens with the last few tracks on a CD.

dBpoweramp Guru

when I have issues with only some tracks not ripping without error, it almost always happens with the last few tracks on a CD.
    Oh really?; that's interesting. I was worried it was the optical-reader.

dBpoweramp Guru

CDs are recorded starting in the center and running towards the outside, the opposite of phonograph records. One of the issues in non-playable CDs is runout, either vertical (the track wobbles vertically more than the laser can track) or radially (the track wobbles horizontally more than the laser can track) in both cases once per revolution of the CD. This is heard when playing the CD as the dreaded pop or breakup once per revolution. In both cases the mechanical errors which create the problem usually become worse near the outside edge of the CD. That is why you often run into CDs where the beginning tracks play fine but the ending tracks won't play properly.

Different drives have different tolerances and different software controlling the movement of the pickup laser, and therefore behave differently with marginal CDs. That is why it is often worthwhile to have a variety of different drives to try playing/ripping bad CDs in.

For those of us from the phonograph record era, you might recall warped or off center records where the first track or two would skip but the end tracks would play OK.

With older CD players, dirt (or dried up lubricant) accumulating on the rails that the laser pickup rides on can cause them to fail if the carriage cannot slide smoothly in and out. And, of course a dirty lens makes it hard for the pickup to focus on the track. Also dirt on the plastic hub the CD rests on in the player (or dirt on the CD itself near the hub) will cause the CD to "seat" improperly, causing excessive runout. (Of course if a CD is burnt or pressed with the runout, all bets are off...) Those of us who have to repair radio station CD players are familiar with these issues.

Some years ago Tascam made a popular radio station CD player with a massive metal "turntable: that the top of the CD was pressed into, as opposed to the flimsy plastic hub used in most players. Those players seemed to suffer much less from unplayable CDs, quite possibly because vertical runout from warped CDs was reduced as they were pressed against the platter. The insides of the player looked something like a miniature upside down turntable. However this also resulted in a funny story I was involved in: DJ plays track from CD on the air, OK. Opens tray to change CD, tray is empty. DJ scratches head, closes tray, presses "play" and "phantom" CD plays. Repeats action several times. Calls Chief Engineer (me) in frustration, beginning to think that possibly substances consumed earlier are playing with his mind. Chief Engineer (me) takes cover off of CD player, pries CD stuck to that platter free from it, cleans sticky substance off of CD and platter and reminds DJ that is why you aren't supposed to eat or drink in the control room! True story, more than once.

dBpoweramp Guru

thanks for the explanation @schmidj. It is nice to know the technical reason for more potential problems on last few tracks.