title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Not Showing in iTunes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Esttowst
    • Sep 2018

Not Showing in iTunes

I just started using CD Ripper and have the path set to my iTunes media file on my external HD. It rips files to appropriate location, but the newly ripped album doesn’t show in my iTunes. I have to drag the album from the media folder into my iTunes icon and then it shows instantly. I’m guessing the files aren’t also going to my iTunes library. How can I fix this?
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Not Showing in iTunes

Hey Esttowst,

there are two possibilities:

1.) Rip like you did and add the new folders by chosing the correspondent menu entry.
    2.) Rip your files to the iTunes folder named "Automatically Add to iTunes", but keep in mind that this will only work, as long as iTunes is not running during ripping. After ripping start iTunes.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Esttowst
      • Sep 2018

Dat,

Thanks for your response. A few questions:
      1) What do you mean "choosing correspondent menu entry"? Where would I be given a choice?
      2) I do not have a folder named "Automatically Add to iTunes"
      3) Is this normally the way dBpoweramp works...or am I simply having a one off issue with iTunes?

Thanks,
      Scott

Originally posted by Dat Ei
      Hey Esttowst,

there are two possibilities:

1.) Rip like you did and add the new folders by chosing the correspondent menu entry.
      2.) Rip your files to the iTunes folder named "Automatically Add to iTunes", but keep in mind that this will only work, as long as iTunes is not running during ripping. After ripping start iTunes.

Dat Ei

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Esttowst
        I just started using CD Ripper and have the path set to my iTunes media file on my external HD. It rips files to appropriate location, but the newly ripped album doesn&*8217;t show in my iTunes. I have to drag the album from the media folder into my iTunes icon and then it shows instantly. I&*8217;m guessing the files aren&*8217;t also going to my iTunes library. How can I fix this?
        This is not an issue with dBpoweramp or any other software for that matter.

Files do not automatically appear in iTunes, unless you manually:
        Select iTunes >> File Menu >> Add File to Library
        Select iTunes >> File Menu >> Add Folder to Library
        Drag and drop files onto iTunes

Or

Place files in the Automatically Add to iTunes folder, which exists, if you have iTunes installed.
        Users have had issues ripping to this folder though, see here:
        "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

or try searching these forums for other iTunes related threads.

Comment

• linkman
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Esttowst
          Dat,

Thanks for your response. A few questions:
          1) What do you mean "choosing correspondent menu entry"? Where would I be given a choice?
          2) I do not have a folder named "Automatically Add to iTunes"
          3) Is this normally the way dBpoweramp works...or am I simply having a one off issue with iTunes?

Thanks,
          Scott
          There is almost certainly a "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. If you navigate to your iTunes media folder location (look in iTunes preferences -> advanced) you'll see that folder. It is probably buried somewhere amongst your "A" artists.

I think you are missing an important concept with iTunes. Just because a file with music shows up in a folder that iTunes keeps its music files in doesn't mean that iTunes will "see" it. iTunes maintains a library that it uses a small database for to keep track of what media is where. For performance reasons iTunes doesn't constantly sweep the entire folder structure of the media location -- for those people with 250000+ songs they are thankful for that. The only folder that it monitors for files like you specify is the Automatically Add to iTunes folder. When iTunes spots a file there, it moves the media based on the type/name structure and adds the appropriate entry to your library.

Comment

• Dat Ei
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2014

Hey Esttowst,

into which audio format did you encode your ripped music? Did you use flac? iTunes does not support flac files.

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

On my windows machine, the "automatically add to itunes" folder is located in the directory below.

C:\Users\myusername\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

Comment

Working...

]]>