title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Artwork Fixes (General Qs)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question RE: Artwork Fixes (General Qs)

Hi folks,

I purchased PerfectTUNES and dBpa last month. I have ripped around 20 or so CDs but have a couple of questions regarding artwork, please. I have looked in the 'Help' section of PerfectTUNES.

So, if I rip a double-CD, and I would like to have both the (original) front and rear LP/CD artwork displayed on my playback-device (eg. Sony mp3 Walkman), then do most people use the FRONT cover for CD1, and the REAR cover for CD2?

At the moment (as per screenshots), dBpa uses the SAME artwork for both CD1 and CD2:

Art_1.png

Art_2.png

But if I wanted to change the artwork for CD2, then you you perform this dBpa, or in PerfectTUNES, or is there an entirely different method, please?

The process for ripping a double-CD is that of using the; CD1/1; CD2/2 method (so as to avoid having multiple folders for a double [or more] CD album).

Thanks very much indeed for any kind assistance offered here.

Paul (UK)
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-15-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Artwork Fixes (General Qs)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    if I rip a double-CD, and I would like to have both the (original) front and rear LP/CD artwork displayed on my playback-device (eg. Sony mp3 Walkman), then do most people use the FRONT cover for CD1, and the REAR cover for CD2?
    I doubt it, but it does not mean that you can't. It is entirely up to you.

Bear in mind, that your playback software/device may not be able to display all available artwork.

The CDRipper Album Art Menu is the three ... below the artwork picture, where you can manage your artwork.

But if I wanted to change the artwork for CD2, then you you perform this dBpa, or in PerfectTUNES, or is there an entirely different method, please?
    You use the CDRipper Album Art Menu to configure your artwork, before ripping. This is entirely separate to PerfectTUNES, which is used to manage your audio files' tags and artwork, post ripping.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks mville,

So do you think it should work if I split the front/back CD artwork between discs 1 & 2 of the ripped version, please? I ask for two reasons: my Sony Walkman has been sent back to their repair center over the volume issue I have discussed earlier; and I would like to start ripping double-CDs, but don't want to invest time into aforementioned artwork process if it is not gong to work.

I did experiment with choosing a different album cover (to dBpas inferior image). I d/l an image from Google Images and then used this to replace the existing one. If I remember correctly, once I uploaded it, I got a message saying 'replacing artwork' (or something like that), and then after about a minute the new artwork appeared. This was performed in PerfectTUNES. But again, I wanted to check please, would you say this is a good method to use?

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Artwork Fixes (General Qs)

Hi again,

I just quickly tried one to test it out. I changed the artwork within dBpa (. . .) this time.

Then, opened it up in foobar (I have no Sony Walkman at present!):

Art_5.jpg

Art_6.jpg

As you can see, tracks 1-4 (CD1) use the front cover art, while tracks 5-6 use the rear.

Again, I am not sure if I have used the correct procedure but it does look like a start in the right direction.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-15-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: screenshot

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again,

I just quickly tried one to test it out. I changed the artwork within dBpa (. . .) this time.

Then, opened it up in foobar (I have no Sony Walkman at present!):

Art_5.jpg

Art_6.jpg

As you can see, tracks 1-4 (CD1) use the front cover art, while tracks 5-6 use the rear.

Again, I am not sure if I have used the correct procedure but it does look like a start in the right direction.

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Like most parts of a personal library, album art, is another personal choice. One or two, may photograph every page of a booklet, whilst some will accept any old art, including some, totally unrelated to the album!

I tend to be fussier than some colleagues, on the choice, and quality of the image, but as far as I know, they, like me, use one image, front, only. There is no right or wrong, only choice!

dBpoweramp Guru

So do you think it should work if I split the front/back CD artwork between discs 1 & 2 of the ripped version, please? I ask for two reasons: my Sony Walkman has been sent back to their repair center over the volume issue I have discussed earlier; and I would like to start ripping double-CDs, but don't want to invest time into aforementioned artwork process if it is not gong to work.
    I have no knowledge of the Sony user interface, so I have no idea what it will display when viewing/playing albums and tracks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I have no knowledge of the Sony user interface, so I have no idea what it will display when viewing/playing albums and tracks.
    Hi mville, I suppose have to wait until I get it back off the repair center so that I then rip some more and test it out. The center is here in the UK so it hopefully should not take them too long to figure the issue out. Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-15-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Hi Paul,

Like most parts of a personal library, album art, is another personal choice. One or two, may photograph every page of a booklet, whilst some will accept any old art, including some, totally unrelated to the album!

I tend to be fussier than some colleagues, on the choice, and quality of the image, but as far as I know, they, like me, use one image, front, only. There is no right or wrong, only choice!
    Thanks Oggy, Well I would like to try and get a decent digital image of the CD cover when possible. And to try and get it right BEFORE I make the rip. Do you think (in a boxset CD) that using a different image (of the original CD artwork) is a decent method to follow, and that it should work on most players, please? Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi mville, I suppose have to wait until I get it back off the repair center so that I then rip some more and test it out. The center is here in the UK so it hopefully should not take them too long to figure the issue out. Cheers.
    Hi Paul,

Hopefully they will put the non-European software on for you, Turn to 11!

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

Hopefully they will put the non-European software on for you, Turn to 11!
    Ha Ha, it's a real shame though as it's a nice machine.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Oggy, Well I would like to try and get a decent digital image of the CD cover when possible. And to try and get it right BEFORE I make the rip. Do you think (in a boxset CD) that using a different image (of the original CD artwork) is a decent method to follow, and that it should work on most players, please? Paul
    I have used a different image for each disc in a box set, when the CDs originally had different images, each CD was in it's own case, and yes, the player will display, the one image per disc, which I believe you have, from a folder.jpg, for each disc, in it's own folder.

Everything else, I use a single, front cover image, if that's what was used originally.

Yes, to me, it makes sense to get it right, before, ripping, and I try to achieve this, but..... editing is available!

dBpoweramp Guru

I have used a different image for each disc in a box set, when the CDs originally had different images, each CD was in it's own case, and yes, the player will display, the one image per disc, which I believe you have, from a folder.jpg, for each disc, in it's own folder.

Everything else, I use a single, front cover image, if that's what was used originally.

Yes, to me, it makes sense to get it right, before, ripping, and I try to achieve this, but..... editing is available!
    I do the same. Sometimes with a multidisk set, there are different covers for each disk and I use these (different cover for each disk). I don't bother with back cover, insides, etc. Frankly, when I'm interested in more info about a CD I'm listening to, on the "ipeng" iphone/ipad controller for my squeezebox music system, I can press a button and it will take me automatically to a wiki page with all the detail in the world about that particular album. Or if I use my Roon music setup, it has a rich set of data/info/pictures about most albums that automatically shows up.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I do the same. Sometimes with a multidisk set, there are different covers for each disk and I use these (different cover for each disk). I don't bother with back cover, insides, etc. Frankly, when I'm interested in more info about a CD I'm listening to, on the "ipeng" iphone/ipad controller for my squeezebox music system, I can press a button and it will take me automatically to a wiki page with all the detail in the world about that particular album. Or if I use my Roon music setup, it has a rich set of data/info/pictures about most albums that automatically shows up.
    Yes, my app doesn't offer this yet, but it is obvious, that we will all be doing this in the very near future. Related pictures, lyrics, and more, at the touch of a button.

A great app, can enhance a very good player, but, a poor app can practically break, an otherwise excellent player.

Unfortunately, I can't (quite!), justify, an iPad, solely for iPeng!

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

Here is how the FLACs and artwork appear in an album folder. I am pretty sure all is correct?

Art_10.png

I have had a teething problem though (as discussed in another thread) and so I do need to do some more experimenting here.

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

mystery solved regarding how foobar deals with art and multiple disks. Turns out it makes sense and is not a bug (as noted, how else could foobar know which art to show when more than one artwork is associated with an album. See this thread starting here at post 335:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post176234