title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: DSD ripping

DSD ripping

I have downloaded the DSD codec, how do I use to rip sacd's?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: DSD ripping

If an SACD is a Hybrid SACD it will have 2 layers, the DSD layer and the CD layer.

If an SACD is a Single layer SACD it will only have the DSD layer.

You cannot rip the DSD layer of an SACD using dBpoweramp Music Converter, only the CD layer.

Thank You mville,
    How would I rip a non hybrid or single layer sacd to wav file, I have no idea on the best way to do it (sample rate, bit rate, settings etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    If an SACD is a Hybrid SACD it will have 2 layers, the DSD layer and the CD layer.

If an SACD is a Single layer SACD it will only have the DSD layer.

You cannot rip the DSD layer of an SACD using dBpoweramp Music Converter, only the CD layer.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mark ulman View Post
    How would I rip a non hybrid or single layer sacd to wav file, I have no idea on the best way to do it (sample rate, bit rate, settings etc.)
    You can't rip a non hybrid or single layer sacd in dBpoweramp Music Converter.

Administrator

You cannot rip this layer with any program on any pc either.

dBpoweramp Guru

AFAIK, the only way to extract the DSD file from a SACD, is by using a Sony PS3, with earlier firmware. I did look into this, but a combination of owning less than 30 hybrid SACDs, the complexity and time required, plus the rising cost of the "correct" PS3, I didn't take it further.

I have seen seen a SACD ripping service advertised, but as not all of my SACDs outperform the Redbook Stereo layer, again I didn't pursue.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

You can "rip" SACD music by hooking an SACD player digitally to your computer and then recording the input to a lossless format of your choice. Naturally there will be no logs, support for error correction or tagging, you will have to cut the songs manually from the whole recording.

JRiver Media Center will rip/encode to DSD

Beginning in 2011, the ability to rip the SACD layer of an SACD Hybrid disc was possible with certain 2nd generation Sony PlayStation 3 models, using only certain early firmware versions. This was/is a rare find in terms of the hardware requirement, though many people did persevere. Over time, it only became more difficult to find suitable examples of the necessary hardware at reasonable cost.

Fast forward to 2016 and ripping SACD became possible using certain model Oppo, Cambridge, and Pioneer Blu-ray players. In 2017, certain model Sony Blu-ray players were added to that SACD ripping compatibility list, and previous to that, certain Oppo clones made by Cambridge, Arcam, Primare, and Electrocompaniet were determined to be compatible.

You can find all of the details for ripping SACD using a Blu-Ray Player here.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
    JRiver Media Center will rip/encode to DSD
    Really? Do you mean to say that with JRMC (which I already have on my Windows PC) I can put a hybrid SACD into my disc drive and rip the DSD layer to a DSD format? I am going to go over to the JRMC interact forum and ask this question, but since you posted here I want to make sure I understand you correctly. Because if it is that simple then I won't be sending off my three dozen SACD discs to that company called Golden Ear who do this service for a fee.

Administrator

It is likely they rip the normal 44KHz CD layer, and then encode that to DSD...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes, that is exactly correct, Spoon, as I have just now confirmed over on the JRiver forum and Wiki.