title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi,

I am ripping the 'Hooked On Classics' CD:

Regarding the track-listing, as per above link (and on the rear of the CD case), each title is that which is designed to encompass material comprising a 'medley':

Hooked On Baroque

Viva Vivaldi

But, in the CD liner-notes, it can be seen that each of the above examples contains (say) 6-10 different pieces!

Would you just use the titles as per above (ie. as per CD rear). Otherwise, one is going to generate massively elongated track-title fields!:

Hooked On Baroque: Prelude No.1; Prelude No.7; Fugue No.8; Fugue No.12; Sonata No.3; Sonata No.9; Concerto No.2; Concerto No.4; Suite No.7; Suite No.8; ...

Many thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-21-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

I'd go with the titles as given. Trying to list all the pieces is too much work for what appears to me to be a lightweight, easy-listening release.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I'd go with the titles as given. Trying to list all the pieces is too much work for what appears to me to be a lightweight, easy-listening release.
    Cheers JH; I will go along with that then.

However, the first two tracks are 'medleys'; and so contain snippets of works by multiple composers:

"A Night At The Opera"

"Hooked On Classics Parts 1 & 2"

Composer-wise, for the same reasons as my previous post, it would be cumbersome to include all 8-12 of the aforementioned:

"A Night At The Opera": Handel; Gilbert & Sullivan; Beethoven; Vivaldi; Bizet; Wagner; Rossini; Mozart; ...

Thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-22-2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

... btw - I am go to list the 'Hooked On Classics' CD under 'compilations'.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I am ripping a Haydn CD: Symphonies Nos 92 & 103, on the label Basic (Classics) - TRA045. I am damned f I can find any info on it! The liner notes are pretty sparse, to say the least.

I would be grateful if anyone could interpret, please, the name of the orchestra (in English):

Estnisches Symphony Orchester

The result I get is for an Estonion orchestra:

However, I don't think this is correct.

The second orchestra on the same CD is:

Staatliches Kammerorchester Zilina

Same question applies, please.

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-01-2018 at 07:07 PM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Per Google Translate, "Estnisches Symphony Orchester" and "Staatliches Kammerorchester Zilina" are German for Estonian Symphony Orchestra and State Chamber Orchestra Zilina, respectively. (Zilina is a city in Slovakia.) I suspect they are correct as far as they go; you might want to change the first to Estonian National Symphony Orchestra as per Discogs, and the second to Zilina State Chamber Orchestra.
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 05-02-2018 at 12:38 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks JH,

That's great. I really was not sure whether or not to trust what I was reading in my online searches. And the sleeve notes are pretty poor (possibly because the CD was very cheap in price).

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Regarding the above CD of Haydn (Symphony Nos. 92 & 103), there is (which I assume to be an equivalent logging scheme to that of an 'opus') the references: 'Hoboken 1/92' and 'Hoboken 1/103'.

Some sources use, instead: 'H1/92' and 'H1/103'. I assume this is referring to the same number?

Would you use the abb. 'H' or the full word 'Hoboken', please? As previously discussed, for opus I use 'Op.' and for Bach's works I use 'BWV'.

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Regarding the above CD of Haydn (Symphony Nos. 92 & 103), there is (which I assume to be an equivalent logging scheme to that of an 'opus') the references: 'Hoboken 1/92' and 'Hoboken 1/103'.

Some sources use, instead: 'H1/92' and 'H1/103'. I assume this is referring to the same number?
    Yes.

Would you use the abb. 'H' or the full word 'Hoboken', please?
    That's a personal preference item. 'H' saves a few bytes of text, while 'Hoboken' won't have you scratching your head several years hence wondering what the devil 'H' means.

My preference is to ignore it. But you probably would have guessed that.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi JH,

Actually, I am surprised to hear you chose to omit it!

I will go with:

'Hoboken'

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi JH,

Actually, I am surprised to hear you chose to omit it!
    Haven't you been paying attention to me?

I would omit it if I were to rip the CD (I don't own a copy), as I find the Symphony number to be sufficient for my use.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I would omit it if I were to rip the CD (I don't own a copy), as I find the Symphony number to be sufficient for my use.
    That's fair enough. I am only really entering this particular data for the sake of completeness; and because I never want to have to rip/tag my CD collection again, and the 'opus' (or similar) number may be something I require in the future (who knows!).
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-03-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

With reference to the aforementioned Haydn CD, sources appear to use:

'Hoboken 1/92' and 'Hoboken 1/103'

Usually, a slash indicates that the subject is number-something out-of-something. For example:

1/5 = part-one out-of-five

The 'Hoboken', suggests, to me, that this is in relation to the SYMPHONY number. But, why have a leading number '1' (ie. before the forward slash)? Obviously the latter number is the symphony number.

I don't know how many symphonies Haydn composed, but if we said 125, then I would have thought the logging scheme would read:

'Hoboken 103/125'

Many thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-03-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I am only really entering this particular data for the sake of completeness; and because I never want to have to rip/tag my CD collection again
    I would let go of that idea as I suspect you will be editing your tags in the future.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I would let go of that idea as I suspect you will be editing your tags in the future.
    Yep, a never ending job as one reconsiders new ways to organize things in the future, or a new player doesn't work the same with your tag scheme, etc. The good news is that you never have to RIP your CDs again, if ripped to lossless FLAC. And tag editing is downright easy and quick (and sometimes can be done in bulk) as compared with ripping.