title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    The older I get, the more I dislike advertising. Right now I feel like the middle of next February.
    I have never liked commercials. I don't see how anyone can? Plus they are designed to subliminally fester in your mind! I always mute or fast-forward the TV adverts.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Thanks mville, I do see the (C)opyright on the rear-cover/bottom-centre, very often. However, the DATE is usually of the the same year the ORIGINAL LP was released (eg. 1968). Cheers, Paul
    In the rare occasion that the release does not state 2 different years, you'll have to use, Google, Discogs, AllMusic, Wiki etc.

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy, Sorry, perhaps that was not the best example. But what I generally mean is that there are many dates (years) stated for CD releases. How might I narrow my choices, please? Cheers, Paul
    Mostly by country. It's very uncommon to have two reissues, from one country in a year.

Apart from that, it's back to looking at the matrix numbers, around the hub of the reflective side, and/or, unique identifiers on the sleeves.
    Last edited by Oggy; 08-29-2017 at 03:02 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Apart from that, it's back to looking at the matrix numbers, around the hub of the reflective side, and/or, unique identifiers on the sleeves.
    Cheers Oggy. Gee, I never even knew about that number on the reflective side. Its a bugger to read though! After a few attempts I found this:

http://www.kind-of-blue.de/seiten/disco/big_fun.htm

(Its a site called 'Kind Of Blue' and the album 'Big Fun' is correctly identified).

But what does this tell me, please, in terms of the remaster year?

Secondly, do you state the original (ie. first ever) remaster-year, or the remaster-year of the particular copy which you own?! Thanks, Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-29-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Mostly by country. It's very uncommon to have two reissues, from one country in a year.
    Hi, If the CD is not a Japanese import, then is it highly likely that I have some form of European copy, please? Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again, Regarding 'Big Fun' (Miles), it appears that the FIRST CD was released in (Japan) 1987:

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-...elease/1384681

I am pretty sure the version I own is this (Europe):

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-...elease/3521630

Up to now I have been (in comments) stating the release-year of the actual version I own (assuming I have traced it down accurately). But I wondered if other users would, instead, state the ORIGINAL year? Thanks, Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi, If the CD is not a Japanese import, then is it highly likely that I have some form of European copy, please? Paul
    You'd know if it was a Japanese import, I'm pretty certain you've got the European copy. The CD, may, have been manufactured in Japan.

dBpoweramp Guru

Up to now I have been (in comments) stating the release-year of the actual version I own (assuming I have traced it down accurately). But I wondered if other users would, instead, state the ORIGINAL year?
    Yup. I use the original year of release, whether it was on CD or LP, in the Year tag. If I were to feel it necessary to store the release year of a subsequent CD release, I would use your method. However, I am something of a minimalist in that I don't feel a need to store in a track file a lot of information others find important. On the odd occasion where I do want such info, I'll look it up online or go find the CD.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Yup. I use the original year of release, whether it was on CD or LP, in the Year tag. If I were to feel it necessary to store the release year of a subsequent CD release, I would use your method. However, I am something of a minimalist in that I don't feel a need to store in a track file a lot of information others find important. On the odd occasion where I do want such info, I'll look it up online or go find the CD.
    Cheers JH,

I use:

the original LP release date for YEAR (eg. 1968).

I use my own tag named RECORDED for the original recording session date.

And I use my own tag named REMASTERED for the YEAR in which my particular CD was released (eg. 1999);rather than stating the very first/original CD release date (eg. 1986). However, as I have mentioned, it is not always so easy to find answers to the latter-mentioned!

Thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-29-2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

You'd know if it was a Japanese import, I'm pretty certain you've got the European copy. The CD, may, have been manufactured in Japan.
    OK, cheers. The plot thickens ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again, Regarding 'Big Fun' (Miles), it appears that the FIRST CD was released in (Japan) 1987:

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-...elease/1384681

I am pretty sure the version I own is this (Europe):

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-...elease/3521630

Up to now I have been (in comments) stating the release-year of the actual version I own (assuming I have traced it down accurately). But I wondered if other users would, instead, state the ORIGINAL year? Thanks, Paul
    Back to good old choices, but I do as you do. I always use the original (vinyl) release date, for every version I may have.

If I have one version on CD, I would name it, Big Fun, even if it is a reissue / remaster, and not use any comment.

If I have two versions, I would name the original, Big Fun, and the reissue, Big Fun [Remaster], and put a year, or name in Comment, IF, I felt it necessary.

It's just my personal choice, even on The Beatles, I use:-

Revolver
    Revolver [Mono]
    Revolver [Remaster]

So I don't add the 2009, to the album name, as it's already obvious which, is which. I did put 2009 in Comments, but in all honesty, I know that, so for me, it is not necessary.

Choices!!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi, if I continue to struggle to locate the actual remastered date copy of the CDs I own, then I may well just blow it out altogether; or else state the very FIRST release date that I can source (whether it be Japan, US, or Timbuktu). Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-29-2017 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

If I have one version on CD, I would name it, Big Fun, even if it is a reissue / remaster, and not use any comment.

If I have two versions, I would name the original, Big Fun, and the reissue, Big Fun [Remaster], and put a year, or name in Comment, IF, I felt it necessary.

It's just my personal choice, even on The Beatles, I use:-

Revolver
    Revolver [Mono]
    Revolver [Remaster]

So I don't add the 2009, to the album name, as it's already obvious which, is which. I did put 2009 in Comments, but in all honesty, I know that, so for me, it is not necessary.
    Thanks Oggy,

I clearly see your method, although I only ever rip ONE copy of a CD. If I own two copies of the same title, then I would just rip the one with the Bonus Track.

Perhaps I am giving myself too much donkey-work here. I mean, I would say a good 15 x mins is spent (per CD) sourcing the REMASTER date (of the CD version I own). If they stated it clearly in the liner notes then this would not be an issue. But I am damn running around like a headless chicken when I could be ripping! Unless, I just simply state the earliest REMASTER RELEASE DATE I can find.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

... where would we be in all this without the aid of INTERNET!!!???

dBpoweramp Guru

... where would we be in all this without the aid of INTERNET!!!???
    In some ways, it is tragic, how much we have come to depend on the Internet, but without it, ripping a CD collection, would be, considerably more, labour intensive.

Even so, I try and keep things simple, but, hopefully accurate and ..... Google is your friend!