title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripper Drive Configuration Issues

Question Ripper Drive Configuration Issues

Hello,

Just bought the full version of Reference and am trying to go through the drive configuration instructions and the results make absolutely NO sense whatsoever. I have two drives as follows:

Lite-on iHAS124E
    - Detected cache 6Kb (3 frames) Drive Spec Sheet says drive has 512Kb cache
    - FUA supported even though NOT a Plextor drive
    - Detect C2 Support - Drive spins up..dn..up..dn..up..dn..etc. After 45 minutes progress bar is about 5%.

Pioneer BDR-209D
    - Detected cache 0 Drive Spec Sheet says drive has 4096Kb cache
    - FUA supported even though NOT a Plextor drive. I set the drive cache back to 1024Kb before running this test... if that matters.
    - Detect C2 Support - Used marked disk detected error about 25% into disk - Product Spec Sheet says NO C2 support!

HELP!!!

BTW, This is under Win 7 Pro. Windows starts to play the CD when inserted. I just close WMP. Don't know if this could be interfering or not.

Thanks,
    Steve

Administrator

Re: Ripper Drive Configuration Issues

>Drive Spec Sheet says drive has 512Kb cache

This is a data cache, the audio cache is always much less, however I recommend leaving CD Ripper at the 512KB or 1024KB cache value for safety.

I would not enable FUA on a non-Plextor drive. If the drive does not rip with C2 enabled then it does not properly support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >Drive Spec Sheet says drive has 512Kb cache

This is a data cache, the audio cache is always much less, however I recommend leaving CD Ripper at the 512KB or 1024KB cache value for safety.

I would not enable FUA on a non-Plextor drive. If the drive does not rip with C2 enabled then it does not properly support it.
    Thanks for the partial answer.

What about C2 support on both drives?

What about cache on the Pioneer? Leave it at 0 as detected or at some other value?

Thanks,
    Steve

Administrator

>- Detect C2 Support - Used marked disk detected error about 25% into disk - Product Spec Sheet says NO C2 support!

C2 must be supported, you can re-run the test, if detects at exactly the correct point each time then the drive supports c2

Leave the cache at 1024 for both drives.

Sorry, got distracted by life! So that takes care of the pioneer...

What about C2 on the Liteon? The test doesn't run properly but the technical details say that the drive supports C2.

BTW, where does the information in "Technical Details" come from? Reported by the drive? dbPoweramp derived database? Manufacturers datasheet?

Thanks,
    Steve

Administrator

Technical details is self reported by the drive, however if the test does not run properly then C2 is not supported. There are many occasions where a drive reports it supports c2, but it does not.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have several liteon drives that report use of C2 but in fact don’t implement C2 correctly (thus I have to turn off C2 in dbpa).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sr. View Post
    Sorry, got distracted by life! So that takes care of the pioneer...

What about C2 on the Liteon? The test doesn't run properly but the technical details say that the drive supports C2.

BTW, where does the information in "Technical Details" come from? Reported by the drive? dbPoweramp derived database? Manufacturers datasheet?

Thanks,
    Steve

Finally got everything setup correctly... I think!

Since I have 2 different potential ripping drives I would have expected that there would be completely separate configuration parameters for each drive. Unfortunately, I have this NOT to be the case. It appears that some parameters appear to be global to ALL drives such as Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads.

Is this as designed or is this a software issue?

Thanks,
    Steve

dBpoweramp Guru

Since I have 2 different potential ripping drives I would have expected that there would be completely separate configuration parameters for each drive. Unfortunately, I have this NOT to be the case. It appears that some parameters appear to be global to ALL drives such as Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads.

Is this as designed or is this a software issue?
    By design. Settings you are calling global e.g. Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, are specific to the CD Ripper software and are not drive specific.

If you want different software settings for each drive, you are able to create different profiles (for profiles, see bottom left of the main CD Ripper window).

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    If you want different software settings for each drive, you are able to create different profiles (for profiles, see bottom left of the main CD Ripper window).
    This information about Ripping Profiles should be added to the TOP of the configuration instructions page for those PCs setup with more than one possible ripping drive. Unless both drives are IDENTICAL it is highly unlikely that the global ripping parameters will match both drives.

dBpoweramp Guru

This information about Ripping Profiles should be added to the TOP of the configuration instructions page for those PCs setup with more than one possible ripping drive. Unless both drives are IDENTICAL it is highly unlikely that the global ripping parameters will match both drives.
    Why do you assume that the software settings will differ for different drives? I have 2 different drives and the software settings are identical for both drives.

Why do you assume that the software settings will differ for different drives? I have 2 different drives and the software settings are identical for both drives.
    One drive supports C2 (Pioneer) and the other (Lite-on) does not. Further down the configuration page you'll find different settings.

dBpoweramp Guru

One drive supports C2 (Pioneer) and the other (Lite-on) does not. Further down the configuration page you'll find different settings.
    The C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection is a drive specific setting, not a CD Ripper software specific setting.

The C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection is a drive specific setting, not a CD Ripper software specific setting.
    Yes, but if you look at the other parameters that are supposedly NOT drive specific (like I mentioned originally) you will find different recommendations depending on if the drive supports C2 or not. Thus to follow the instructions you would have to setup a different profile for each drive to account for these differences.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, but if you look at the other parameters that are supposedly NOT drive specific (like I mentioned originally) you will find different recommendations depending on if the drive supports C2 or not. Thus to follow the instructions you would have to setup a different profile for each drive to account for these differences.
    No. The other parameters you refer to ARE drive specific.