title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: File tagging naming scheme that keeps Classical rips in individual File Folders

File tagging naming scheme that keeps Classical rips in individual File Folders

Hello, can someone suggest a file naming scheme that will put albums(CDs) in Folders by CD title only ?

I don't want multiple CDs of the same Artist,Conductor,Orchestra, etc. placed in file folders by these categories. MPad does a poor job of retaining & displaying the folder jpg when they place multiple CD rips in category folders.

It's become a PITA editing the folders into individual folders I wanted them to be initially. I want my file folders to work the same as individual CDs.

Doable ??
    Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: File tagging naming scheme that keeps Classical rips in individual File Folders

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Steve View Post
    Hello, can someone suggest a file naming scheme that will put albums(CDs) in Folders by CD title only ?

I don't want multiple CDs of the same Artist,Conductor,Orchestra, etc. placed in file folders by these categories. MPad does a poor job of retaining & displaying the folder jpg when they place multiple CD rips in category folders.

It's become a PITA editing the folders into individual folders I wanted them to be initially. I want my file folders to work the same as individual CDs.

Doable ??
    Thanks
    So you want every CD to have its own folder in the root directory of your music library? That's certainly doable. There's more than one approach, but here's a pretty straightforward one:

• Set the PATH to the root directory where you want them to go.
    • Set the NAMING scheme to start with \[ALBUM]\[TRACK]-[TITLE]
      (The italicized part should be whatever filename format you prefer. It's the first part, the "\[ALBUM]\" variable, that creates a folder named for the album title.)

Note that this simple approach has some drawbacks. It'll combine the files of multiple albums together in one folder if they happen to have the same name....something that's relatively common with classical music. (Things like "Beethoven's 5th Symphony" and "Das Rheingold" are albums for which I have several versions. I wouldn't want them all lumped together. Similarly, album names like "Cello Sonatas" may well occur multiple times in a classical music library.

One workaround, if you really do need each album in the root directory, would be to append the folder name with other identifying data, like ARTIST or COMPOSER or whatever. Then the beginning of the naming scheme would look something like this:

\[ALBUM]-[COMPOSER]\.....
    or better for alphabetizing purposes
    \[COMPOSER]-[ALBUM]\.....

What's MPad?